Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

First trip to Grand Cayman, what are the top spots we don't want to miss!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 08:43 AM
Pam

We are going to Grand Cayman the end of May for the first time! I was wondering what are the top spots to visit while there? Any suggestions? I would appreciate any adivice on the Island! Thanks, Pam <BR>(We are staying at the Turtle Nest Inn)

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 10:02 AM
Cheri

There aren't many sights. If you don't have anything else to do you mght want to visit the turtle farm or go to Hell. I personally think the trip to Hell is a waste, but hey. <BR> <BR>A MUST NOT MISS is a snorkel trip to Stingray City. Next, make sure to snorkel Cemetery Reef and Smiths Reef. Behind the Burger King (Cheeseburger Reef) in town is good too. <BR> <BR>If you get a chance, have dinner at the Wharf and feed the tarpon. Go early so you can get a table on the deck near the water. <BR> <BR>Pick a day when there are no ships in and visit Georgetown. They have some interesting shops. <BR> <BR>Above all, have a great time.

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 11:30 AM
Ann

We're on a cruise to western Carribean next week..but all day tours to stingray city and reefs for snorkeling are full!! Do you know a reputable guide/outfitter that can take us?? Who did you go with? Do you know how far the ships dock from the "snorkel outfitters"?

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 01:19 PM
jackie

Pam, <BR> <BR>We just got back on Thursday, also stayed at Turtle Nest Inn. You have probably seen the Tourist Info and Links page on their website. We went to Stingray city with Captain Dexter (as recommended). It was an amazing trip and my entire family of 4 loved it! We also enjoyed all of the restaurants we tried from Alain and Marleine's list. Not only do some of them give you discounts because you are guests of the inn, they ask to be remembered to the hosts as well. My kids really enjoyed the Turtle farm and while Hell is not worth a trip on its own, if you're at the Turtle farm, Hell is only another 5 minutes down the road so you might as well go. Since you'll probably have a car try to get out to as many beaches as possible - although we didn't care for Rum Point as it is so busy. Cemetary Reef, Silver Sands (behind the Silver Sands cafe on West Bay rd), 7 mile public beach with the playground, Smith's cove are all great and, with the exception of Smith's cove, relatively quiet. Enjoy! <BR>For Ann, our Stingray City trip left from the GC Yacht Club which is about 20 minutes up West Bay Road from the harbour. Captain Dexter literally had 4 spots available on the early Monday outing - between Sat. and Wed. it was the only time he could take us. Good luck in finding space but it is a really worthwhile trip! <BR>Jackie

Old Mar 26th, 2000, 11:34 AM
Teresa Daniels

Grand Cayman is beautiful! Try the Turtle Farm-you might forgo "Hell". Must go on a snorkel trip to Stingray City-try the Hyatt snorkel tour. Lots of exotic foods and the rum drinks are super! Go to downtown Georgetown for your souvenir shopping. I kept a journal-any questions, just e-mail me!!! Almost forgot, you must go to see Seven Mile Beach and take an evening romantic pirate ship cruise!!!!!

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 10:08 PM
DON

IF YOU ARE SNORKLERS YOU MUST SEE CEMETRY REEF! RUM POINT IS O.K.(WORTH SEEING) BUT CROWDED! STINGRAY CITY IS A MUST TOO. WE ATE AT THE MARRIOTT (FRIDAY NIGHT) BUFFET, EXPENSIVE BUT DELICIOUS! TRY TO PLAN ACTIVITIES AROUND CRUISE SHIPS!! PEOPLE VERY FRIENDLY. WE ARE GOING AGAIN IN MAY FOR THE THIRD TIME,WOULD NOT GO BACK IF IT WAS NOT PARADISE,BUT EVERYONE HAS THIER PREFFERENCES!!

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 02:52 PM
pat

The Caymans are famous for Stingray City but don't panic only during high season are those trips booked in advance,. or around major holidays..... <BR>So if you are not going during feb/March or December ( xmas ) you should be ok..,Have a great time.

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 02:56 PM
alice

www.fantasea-tours.com ( captain dexters trips to Stingray City not to be missed.........