first time beach house renter info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, neice, her husband and myself are looking to rent a house in the bahamas for a week next feb. Is this a good time to go? and also we are wanting seclusion, but be able to access town for groceries and other necessities pretty easily. I have found a house on North Palmetto Point called Kokomo. I was wondering if anyone knows about this property and also is this area safe? It looks very secluded, but I didn't know if VERY secluded is safe in this area. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 01:04 PM

"Is this a good time to go"

In short no!

We went last year and the temps were down to 58oF it was a lovely break from snowy Scotland but the year before in May we had 88oF morning, noon and night.

The Bahamas are all about the sea and the beach. Neither are that attractive in a gale with 58oF.

This year I have noticed that the temps have been higher but it is still a sizeable risk.

For higher February temperatures you really need to be at least as far south as T & C islands.

BTW I would consider the beach houses on The Out Islands which offer far better value for money and have absolutely no safety issues.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 07:53 AM

hi matt, agree air temps will be cool and water temp will be in low 70's (for reference the watertemp in my lake in northern maine is 70ish in late summer).
mexico has loads of villas avail & water temp would be 80ish. in feb you might need a sweatshirt to sit outdoors at night. reasonably quiet/secluded areas would include tankah or soliman bay beaches. town of tulum is nearby. i mention it as villas are reasonably inexpensive. we stayed in casa cavu. you can find house listings at locogringo.com & bill-in-tulsa.com
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 08:33 AM

We've visited Eleuthera and Paradise Island in February. We enjoyed the beach, swimming and snorkeling (without wetsuits) Of course, I should premise this with the fact that I'm from Maine and don't get why people complain about Maine water temperature?!? Seriously, I'm not a fan of real hot, sticky weather and maybe that's why I found it very comfortable (mid to high 70's)

We're visiting Abaco this year and are going in June . .. this family of Bahamian islands is west of palm Beach so you are definitely gambling on weather here if you go in February.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM

If you end up renting a house in Eleuthera "Savannah Sunset" is fantastic!! We loved Eleuthera! I have a trip report posted you can read if interested.