few questions on St. John

Nov 29th, 2000, 05:12 AM
geof

few questions on St. John

I'm heading there for a week in Jan.

1. Is it worth buying snorkelingg stuff before going going or is it readily available to rent/buy there at most of the beaches?

2. I see mention of horseback riding on the fodor report. Has anyone done that there? I know my girfriend is interested and was curious if anyone could reccomend where to go? Is it in the national park?

3. How is the water?

Only a few more weeks, till my escape.

Thanks,
Geof

Nov 29th, 2000, 05:38 AM
janet

Geof,

Such a great trip to look forward to - we just returned.

Personally, I think it is worth having your own snorkeling equipment. I find the experience more enjoyable when the equipment is comfortable and fits properly. However, it is readily available to rent on the island. You can rent from one of the shops in Cruz Bay or some of the more popular beaches (Trunk, Cinnamon) have rentals on site.

Can't help you with the horseback riding; although we did see several donkeys on our travels.

The water is great; crystal clear blue and refreshing!

You will have an awesome time!

janet

Nov 29th, 2000, 10:02 AM
Cheryl

I have been to St. John and absolutely loved it ... you will have a wonderful time!

I also second the opinion to have your own snorkeling equipment ... at least the face mask with snorkel. You can then rent the fins on the island. I did not like the idea of using a snorkel mouthpiece that had been in other person's mouths and not knowing what the "cleaning" process is in between use.

The water and snorkeling in St. John are great -- Enjoy!

Nov 29th, 2000, 10:45 AM
geof

oops, I meant drinking water.

Thanks for the info on the mask and mouthpiece. I'll make sure we get some before we go.

Thanks,
geof

Nov 30th, 2000, 12:17 PM
janet

I think the tap water is safe; however, we opted for bottled water for drinking.

Nov 30th, 2000, 03:37 PM
Ronnie

There is some trail riding available in Coral Bay, however, I do not believe they enter the park.
Ronnie

Dec 2nd, 2000, 09:16 AM
mike

When we were in St. J in June we hiked to a remote beach at Brown Bay, the only other human beings we saw were some horseback riders on the beach. Suggest the book, St. John, Off the beaten path

Search this Thread