Search

Ferry Questions?? Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferry Questions?? Need Help!

Hi,
I am traveling to Tortola in 2 weeks via Charlotte, NC and then St. Thomas. My airline told me I would clear customs in Charlotte. My flight arrives in St. Thomas at 3:55, and the latest Ferry I see going to West End leaves at 4:30!!!!! Is there anyway I will make this? or should I plan on spending the night in St. Thomas?
Thanks,
Bryan
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 01:55 PM

I think you might have some mis-information. On your trip down, you will not have to clear customs until you arrive on Tortola. St. Thomas is a US Territory so when you travel from the US there's no customs/immigration clearance necessary. Regardless, if your flight to STT is scheduled to arrive until 3:55PM it is very doubtful you'll be able to deplane, exit the airport, and take a cab to the ferry dock by 4:30 unless your plane lands early, you are sitting in the front of the plane and you are doing only carry-on bagage - even then you'd be cutting it very very close.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM

Those ferry schedules can tend to get confusing. Try looking at http://www.bvivacations.com/Ferry.html#Smiths . It looks like they alternate a 4:30/5:00 ferry. Also later ones if you arrive on a weekend. I think they also may alternate with native Son, so that might be worth looking into as well. If something looks like it might work out, I would call to clarify.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. When I booked the trip I was under the impression that I would have to go through customs in Tortola. But then I read an article on the new passport regulations and it mentioned that a passport would be needed after Jan. 8 for the US Virgin Islands. So I called US Airways and that's when I was told I would have to go through customs in Charlotte NC. I guess I should have paid more attention to the Ferry Schedule!
Thanks again.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:27 AM

Under the new regulations, you need the passport to get BACK INTO the US when travelling from the Caribbean.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:45 AM

I meant to point out that passport requirements when travelling between the US mainland and US territories such as the USVI's are different than when travelling to other Caribbean islands. You can check the US State Department website for all the correct information at:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Since you are going to the BVI's you'll need the passport to get BACK INTO into the US (and USVI's) from Tortola.

On your trip down you'll clear BVI customs and immigration when you arrive in Tortola. On your return (assuming you are flying back to the US out of STT) you'll first have to clear US Customs and Immigration when you get off the ferry in ST. Thomas. I believe you will then have to clear US customs (but not immigration) when you arrive back in Charlotte.

Hope this helps clear up your confusion.

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 04:23 PM

We just did this route from Detroit connecting in Charlotte both ways. No need for customs/immigration in Charlotte on the way back from the USVI's. Just found our way to the next gate. You will clear customs on STT.