Favourite Cuban Cities/Towns

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2023, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to be a Havana guy. My last few trips I was enjoying it less and less. An increasing amount of my regular establishments were bringing out white table cloths and tripling their prices. I have a bunch of new favourites now. I'll start with Pinar Del Rio. No tourists there at night. Just some bus tours during the day doing the handful of attractions. Like a lot of places in Cuba, the dining scene isn't great, but they have a couple of good restaurants. Lots of good drinking options. I loved the wrap around patio on one of the squares during the day time and at night there was no shortage of places to hang out. I never developed a taste for that guayabita liqueur that they make there. I stuck with the rum and beer. What are some of your favourites?
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 09:10 PM

The smallest city that I have stayed at in Cuba (that wasn't a resort) is probably Las Tunas or Bayamo. That's not so small but then again I am a city guy. I have been to Pinar del Rio but did not sleep there. I would like to try an off-the beaten path town of some sort some day but not sure if I'll enjoy it. I was thinking of going to Puerto Padre if I end up in Holguin again.

My next trip will consist of Havana and Ciefuegos and I am not sure what else.

I hope Havana is not turning out like Canadian cities where the small good restaurants are getting pushed out by upscale and chains. That seems to be the trend.
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

I lived in Las Tunas for a few months during the pandemic. I enjoyed the general vibe there in spite of the situation. When I first arrived there, indoor dining was still going on. Unfortunately, covid spread very quickly and put a halt to that. I spent a lot of time with a guy that I met from Montreal that was living there full time with his wife and kids. My casa host and his family were also great to be around. Haven't been to Cienfuegos in over 10 years. Lots of great architecture and a different feel than the rest of Cuba. I'd definitely go back.
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 10:37 PM

Correction(s) - the smallest Cuban city that I have stayed overnight in is Gibara. I was also thinking Manzanillo but Gibara is smaller.

Also Cienfuegos is the correct spelling.

Old Oct 31st, 2023, 06:39 PM

I liked Havana more each time went but am looking for something different if we return to Cuba.
Varadero is ok but it’s full of tourists. Would like something a bit more authentic.
Mantanzas is good for a visit although I really don’t know what the big deal is.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Matanzas is in my top 5 cities in Cuba. Tons of things for tourists to see in and around Matanzas. The 2 main squares, theatre, baseball stadium (go crocs!), a few museums, cathedral, necropolis, handmade bookstore, Bellamar cave, Castillo de San Severino fortress, and many others. When I lived there I would go to my local coffee place every morning. Great little place with lots of aquariums well stocked with different types of fish. Then I'd walk towards the bridge, get some lunch from a street vendor and head to my local dive bar. Classic Cuban bar. They only sold cans of Mayabe, rum and cigarettes. Plaza de la Vigia had a busy pub with good burgers and cold beer. It was always packed. Matanzas would also get lots of great musicians in town because it's so close to Havana. Saw my favourite Cuban musician Alejandro Falcon here a few times. He's also a regular at the Havana Jazz Fest.
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 01:41 PM

My favorite city is Camaguey, more specifically in the old town/Centro. There are a lot of cafes, restaurants, parcs where to sit and watch life happens. The architecture is great and the town is extremely clean for a non touristic town. Some museums, a good night life, and a good quality of life as, for some unknown reasons, its stores and mercados are usually better stocked then most other towns outside of Habana but does not have the high prices of Habana.

Also, not many tourists, and those who go there are usually more seasoned travellers.

I would pick Camaguey again if I had to live in Cuba again.

next in line is Cienfuegos, great architecture, somewhat different because of the French influence. And the easy access to the sea/beach is a perk that Camaguey lacks.
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 09:45 PM

Mantanzas andCamagüey are two Cuban cities that I have been to and both I would like to visit again some day.

Mantanzas was for a weekend in 2018. We spent most of our time around the Parque de La Libertad. The Hotel E Vasco is there and they had a splendid lobby, dining hall and menu as I recall. The Parque Rene Fraga had that old almost-abandoned majestic look to it, like many things do in Cuba, as we drove by a few times to and fro from the swimming school complex. Other than that, I don't remember much other than walking down by the water and a very nice paladar we ate at one night. The city was not overly impressive (certainly not when coming from Havana) but I would like to have another gander at it some day.

Mantanzas -
BBC Travel

Camagüey, I spent a week at.... oh nearly nine years ago now. (Boy, fly times and time flies) I quite liked what the city had to offer. We had some good meals and there were a few bars about that we had a few sips of alky at. Their version of Casa de la Trova was nice. The city is not as lively as Santiago but big and busy enough to keep occupied in. We met up with Johnabbotsford's wife there and she showed us around some. I remember asking questions about it on Thorntree before going there and Dontomas piped in with his interpretation. I still remember that he took exception to the sentence: "Cuba's third-largest city is easily the suavest and most sophisticated after Havana."

Camagüey - Lonely Planet

Last edited by CubanWaters; Nov 2nd, 2023 at 09:57 PM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 09:59 PM

I had totally forgotten about you meeting Karina in Camaguey!
Havent forgotten us both meeting you in Bayamo.
And of course she met up with you and Gen separately in Montreal last year.
Great memories and yes time flies!
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 10:04 PM

Don Tomas -what a character.
Karina could not pick his Spanish as not being Cuban.
Very impressive and such a sad finish.
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 01:58 PM

I must get round to staying in Cienfuegos. Only wandered about for an hour or so and it was a very long time ago.
There are several places I've wandered around briefly and quite liked - Placetas, Morón, Remedios, Guantánamo. Guantánamo I've wandered around more often. Lovely wide roads and pavements.

Favourite city has to be Santiago.
I can see the mountains surrounding the bay, have the bustle of the city, get out to the countryside or beaches in 20 minutes, take the lancha across the bay...
Old Nov 12th, 2023, 06:56 AM

Hello!

I cannot decide one favorite city, I tend to visit people more than the city itself, it makes a big difference for me either I have friends and family there or not whom I want to visit. However, I say, I like eastern than western island, and it is truly about people and culture. Santiago de Cuba, as YaHez say, I enjoy looking at Sierra Maestra from the rooftop of my casa particular I always stay every morning while having Breakfast. The city has important history, traditions and music that represents Cuba. It is like Kyoto in Japan (old capital city as well)

Another city I would like to mention is Camaguey. While having several families that I always visit, not sure why but I am always treated very much welcomed a lot in the city of Camaguey. I find Camaguey is like, a city of where I am from in Japan (Nagoya, it is like #3 or #4 biggest city in Japan). Camaguey is located in central of the island and people & culture are mixed with West and East (a bit towards to west) however people have warm hearted like East and have respect. The city is small but neat, that is like my hometown in Japan. And I also hear that Camaguey has never been hit by serious major hurricane, that is also similar like my city of Japan.

I suppose, after all, I picked my favorites....
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 11:24 PM

Welcome aboard azulkiki,
Interesting comparison of Camagüey, and your hometown in Japan.
I have spent more time in Santiago that any other place in Cuba. Folks who know me have often asked why I went there. Warm winter weather, mountain backdrop and that unique Santiago vibe is what I tell them.
Havana is my #1. Can't wait to get back there in January. It's been a while indeed.
Old Nov 14th, 2023, 06:06 AM

Thank you CubanWaters, my apology to take a few months till joining here. How exciting that your trip is coming up very soon! Have a wonderful and fun trip!
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Sancti Spiritus is another one of my top picks. The main square is a great place to hang out and there is always something going on there, especially on the weekends. The casa de la trova was my preferred night time spot. The 3 hotels were all great places to chill out. One on the main square with a nice patio and the other 2 are very close by. The Taberna Yayabo by the bridge was a decent place for food and atmosphere. I preferred a small bar/restaurant on the other side of the bridge. Not many dinner options in Sancti Spiritus. Was getting sick of seeing pizza/pasta everywhere. No paladars here anymore. Just a bunch of state run establishments. Your casa will have much better food.
Old Nov 18th, 2023, 07:30 AM

Cienfuegos is my get away now. We have (and still) travelled to Varadero for many years and love the beach, town and connections to anywhere in Cuba. Went to Cienfuegos mid-month in Cuba to get a break from the beach style with intent to visit Trinidad. Now, 7 or 8 years later, enjoying Cienfuegos for 3 - 7 days every year, have not made it to Trinidad yet. Enjoy the street layout, architecture and cosmopolitan attitude of people I meet on the street. As a City with large tourist numbers, it is not in your face every corner you turn. I have a hard time convincing the operator to take a tip at a cafeteria or most street stalls while at the same time I can find an airconditioned restaurant with a house band happy for my business a few blocks away. Anyone ever asked for the money back guarantee after having drank the "best pina colada ever" at Punta Gorda?
Old Nov 18th, 2023, 07:08 PM

Nice to see you here Beansntoast.

Like I previously wrote, Cienfuegos is on the agenda for my next trip.

Trinidad, I was not a big fan of the couple of times that I went there. A great area (beach and mountains) but the town was too dainty and full of tourists for my liking. It has been so many years though that I have been there. Maybe I will give it another shot some day.
Old Nov 24th, 2023, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

I prefer Cienfuegos over Trinidad. Back in the day Trinidad was over run with tourists clogging up the main square during the day time. At night though, it was a different story and I enjoyed my time there. Cienfuegos has much more to see and do and has some great architecture. Haven't been to either for 8 years or so. Not sure what or when my next Cuba trip will be. Might show up somewhere on the trip of CubanWaters and harrass him.
Old Nov 25th, 2023, 11:32 AM

Hi all - it's Lebay! I'm in!!

My favorite Cuban city is Bayamo. First visit in 2016, which was also my first trip to Cuba. Since then I've visited every year, except 2020 and 2021, during the Covid-19 pandemic. I love the ambience, the cleanliness and tranquility, and its location near the majestic Sierra Maestra mountains which can be seen from the city.
The main "attraction" - in my opinion - is the wonderful Bayamese (and Granmense) people.

Of course, there are also other beautiful cities and towns in Cuba - one I haven't been to yet but would like to visit is Cienfuegos, which I already see mentioned in this thread.
Old Nov 25th, 2023, 09:27 PM

Lebay, so nice of you to join us here!
Man, the new members to this forum are coming fast and furious! Who be next I wonder??

Bayamo is a city that I have stayed at quite a few times over the years. It would usually be my first night stop on the way to Santiago, if I had flown into the Holguin airport. I have mixed feelings about the city but mostly good. It is not a lively place such as Holguin city or Santiago in the evenings. You could possibly find just as many people in church there than out on the town at night. I always found it quite a clean city though and they seemed to have a good selection of shops compared to other Cuban cities. I tried my first lobster ever there and have been enjoying the such ever since.
I met Johnabbottsford and his missus there one time. I wonder what year that was? I know he liked Bayamo. Maybe he will pipe in again to this thread.

SimonT, with the number of different hats, wigs and deep dark sunglasses that I wear in Cuba, good luck in finding me! And congratulations, you now have the thread with the most replies in the Cuba forum section since 2017. She's gone viral!

Last edited by CubanWaters; Nov 25th, 2023 at 09:31 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -