Search

Favorite Restaurant in the Caribbean?

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite Restaurant in the Caribbean?

Hello fellow fodorites,
I'm just throwing this topic out there just because Something new to discuss in general. I was wondering what everyone's favorite Caribbean restaurant is and why? If you had to pick one.

I'd have to say mine is this hidden gem we found in Nassau about 3 years ago, called Graycliff.
http://www.graycliff.com/
I've been to many islands in the caribbean but this particular restaurant is one of a kind due to it having the largest wine cellar in the western hemisphere, and the oldest bottle of wine in the world! My husband and I are avid wine enthusiasts and this place is a mecca for wine! The restaurant is situated in downtown Nassau and is somewhat hidden unless you know where to look. The building is an old victorian/plantation syle house with the beautiful woodwork and high ceilings. You begin with hors d’oeurves in the large sitting room where they play a grand piano and present you with a thick book (literally) of wines to choose from. Then you eat dinner on the wrap around porch lit with small white lights (very romantic). The service and dinner was amazing, and the chocolate souffle was to die for. We then got a tour of the huge wine cellar and surrounding grounds-it was great! And we even got to see the oldest bottle of wine in the world (at the time we were there is was going for 200k! - surprisingly it was a dessert wine-they couldn’t guarantee if it was still good or not-I’m guessing you would buy it more for bragging rights than drinking!)

Although Providence is probably my least favorite island I’ve been to (way too built up for me), I’d go back there just for that dinner again.

Just wanted to share. What are your favorites?
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:26 AM

I'd agree that it's Greycliffs for me too. I started dinner with the Lobster Bisque and it took all I had not to lick the bowl clean, probably one of the best meals I have ever had.

We got a bottle of wine, and sorry can't remember what it was now, but it was one of the best wines I have ever had as well.
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Mangos in Anguilla.
Coyaba in Turks and Caicos.
Most in St. Martin.
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:33 AM

The Cliff in Barbados
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:18 AM

I have many, but I will go with this one since it's walking distance from my house.

http://www.oldginhouse.com/
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:55 AM

The Cliff in Barbados. Splendid cuisine and stunning cliff-top locale (every table faces the ocean).
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:23 PM

I've had a lot of memorable meals in the Caribbean, but on my last trip I stayed in St. Martin -- in the village of Grand Case. Never in my life have I had so many amazing meals with flawless service. While I've certainly eaten at my share of great restaurants the world over (e.g. Rockpool in Sydney; any number of fabulous meals in New Orleans, etc.), the sheer concentration of quality in St. Martin -- Grand Case in particular -- was awesome. And the fact that we could just stumble down the street or beach to and from our villa without worrying about transportation made it all the better.

During our week, we ate at Le Tastevin, L'Escapade, Le California, L'Auberge Gormande and, for old times' sake on Valentine's Day, La Vie en Rose in Marigot (where we'd gone on our honeymoon almost 18 years before). From fantastic appetizers (frogs legs, lobster bisque, foie gras), to imaginitive entrees (duck in chocolate sauce and foie gras, mushroom ravioli with fresh fish) right to the complimentary shot of spiced rum to cap the meal off, it was a chowhound's delight.

Luckily, we spent the rest of our time "working" hard at sailing a 72-foot racing sailboat, so none of our group gained any weight after the week of indulgence.

Old May 8th, 2007, 01:14 PM

I wouldn't call the Graycliff a "hidden gem"!
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:38 PM

My vote is for Picante, Mango's, Tasty's,Straw Hat,and WOW, Blanchard's! All in Anguilla! It's hard to go wrong in Anguilla!
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:52 PM

I think it is called "Sugar Mill" on Tortola....absolutely some of the best meals I have ever had. Bought their cookbook but can't compare!
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:42 PM

Altamer in Anguilla (Cedar Grove and Picante close seconds), Carambola in Barbados, Herve in St. Thomas and Poop Deck (the one near the bridge) in Nassau.
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:49 PM

Another vote for The Sugar Mill on Tortola! The most memorable dinner of many in the Caribbean!
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:51 PM

But, my favorite restaurant is Norma's on Negril beach since we most often go to Negril these days. Duggan's Reef on St. Croix is another old favorite of mine as was, the former, Cafe Madeline on STX.
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Callaloo, I'm in agreement with you about Grand Case. The first restaurant I ever ate at there was L'Escapade for my first anniversary 13 years ago. I'm glad to hear it's still great.

Marigot has some wonderful ones, too. DH and I had lunch a couple weeks ago at L'Oizeau Rare and everything was superb...from the homemade foie gras with caramelized apple, all the way to the crêpes with candied orange zest and Grand Marnier.

Ok...now I'm hungry.
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Grand Cayman- Pappagallo's & Decker's
Kaua'i-Coconut's
Aruba- Que' Pasa
St John- La Tapa and Sundog Cafe

Christie
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input! I enjoyed looking up some of your favorites online-they look great. Sounds like Anguilla has some really great restaurants too! Now I’m hungry

eaf2007, I’m curious to why you think Graycliff isn’t a hidden gem, as I had put it. Has it become more popular/well known in the past few years? I did notice their site has been expanded and updated since I went. Have you been to better restaurants there?
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:57 AM

The Cliff - Barbados

The Rock Cafe - Virgin Gorda

and

some of the amazing places in Grand Case
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Hands down Mangos, Picante and Blanchards all on the lovely island of Anguilla!
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Our favorite so far is The Coal Pot in Castries, St. Lucia. Excellent.
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:07 PM
iw

Any place in Grand Case, St. Martin. In Nevis we love Coconut Grove and Bananas. In St. Kitts we love Serendipity!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -