Reload this Page >

Exchanging $$ for Grand Cayman

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 05:03 AM
Wendy3

A quick question - does anyone recommend exchanging the $$ before you go to Grand Cayman? I thought the rate was the same regardless - just curious. Thanks for the input!

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 05:17 AM
mm

When we went to Grand Cayman about 4 years ago, we did not bother to change money at all. Most of the time, we used a credit card. Where we did not, the shops accepted US dollars. The stores would post both US dollar and Cayman prices. The rate at the time had the Cayman money slightly more in value than the US dollar. We also tipped in dollars. I hope this helps.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 06:45 AM
Cheri

We have never converted money when we've gone to GC. We use a credit card as much as possible because you usually (AND I SAY USUALLY) get a better conversion rate from the bank. This applies to most of the islands.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 10:03 AM
IslandAnne

I just returned from GC a few days ago. I converted some money at the hotel just for convenience, but mostly used US dollars which were accepted everywhere (even small jerk stands) and credit card. I wouldn't bother converting before you reach the island; doubt you would get a better rate. I stayed on the East End of the island and we received CI $ in change there. While in Georgetown and SMB, we received mostly US $ in change. Hope you have a great trip - we sure did!

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 11:40 AM
Roger & Amy

Wendy, <BR> Some of the banks give a better exchange rate with American Express travelers checks.