Eleuthera: VRBO #102334

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Eleuthera: VRBO #102334

Hi, I have been a long time lurker here and I love everyone's insight. I have been trying to narrow down vacation choices and pretty much this has been my thought process...

Want sun + beach + not long flight --> Caribbean
Want cheap flight from Columbus, OH --> see rates to Nassau for $314 when I want to go (late May)
Want secluded --> See that Eleuthera will fit this bill, and only a $150 flight from Nassau

First are any of these assumptions wrong? We really want a relaxing vacation and lots of surf and turf... and, this is a biggie, we are on a budget.

Second, how does this listing look to anyone familiar with the island? I realize it is not on the beach but we are healthy and can walk 1/4 of a mile. Would probably also rent a car. Owners seem pretty responsive. They also have this website http://www.bahamalongreach.com/

I am open to all opinions, thanks!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:59 AM

I have a couple of thoughts for you:

First, you can still get oceanfront for under $1000 per week. Here are two properties (I've stayed in Sea Star, which is just a couple houses away from Island Breeze Bungalow):

http://www.calypsocalypso.com/seastar.htm
You may have to click on "Island Breeze Bungalow to get to the actual page:
http://www.bahamasweb.com/

My other thought is to see if you can connect through the US (fll or mia) and if that would be cheaper. It would probably get you there earlier in the day. On the calypso website, click on "How To Get To Eleuthera" for some more information.

Late May is perfect timing for the Out Islands. You will need A/C in the bedroom, so be sure that is included. Oh, and you may want to give some thought to whether you want to be oceanfront or sound front. Oceanfront is breezier, more to see, but sound front has the placid beaches. We always go oceanfront, but many feel the opposite - or it may not matter to you!

Have fun deciding!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:40 AM

I agree with Joan's comments that you can find oceanfront for $1000 a week on Eleu (especially in may). Check out surfers beach on eleu in gregory town. Here is a link http://www.discover-eleuthera-bahama...ers-beach.html If all you are interested in is surf then you may want to stay in North eleu/Rainbow bay area. Thats where I beleive your listing is. I personally prefer to stay in Govenors harbour/ N palmetto point area since its more cental, close to many restaurants and many great beaches.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! I am trying to look into how best to get there with a preference towards flying direct from Ft Lauderdale.

I looked into the MorningStar, the sister property of the SeaStar, and got a quote of $640 for 8 nights and 50 a day for a rental car. My quote at the other place is $550 for 8 nights and 60 a day for a car so it is pretty similar to work out to around $1000 for car + hotel.

I assume from your statements that the original rental is in a better place for surfers which is not us. We are more calm water people, love to swim and walk around, so I take it that the Calypso rental would be good for this?

My only other Eleuthera in general question is do cruise ships stop there? I really don't know, sorry if this is a dumb question.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM

I am excited that you're considering Calypso, phliz! When we rented, Morningstar was closed, and the owner lived in Woodstar (we only saw him once or twice). The property has a really neat garden with trails to explore - ten acres. A little unkempt, but that added to the charm. The kitchen looks a little "scary" in the pictures, but heck for a budget vacation, who's looking? We also enjoyed the bikes that came with the property, for cruising the sand trails. (ours did get a flat, though, which the owner didn't quite get around to fixing during our stay).

No, cruise ships do not call on Eleuthera, but you will see them passing by on the distant horizon! And you will definitely find their flotsam and jetsam strewn on the beach

PS You haven't asked, but be sure to fly into GHB, not ELH, an hour further. And bring cash for the rental car, unless alot has changed, they much prefer cash/travelers checks, and most places do not accept plastic.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:26 PM

philz, if surf is not your thing (sorry did not read your original post carefully) then definately stay in central eleu. More beaches in close vicinity. You can also drive up to N Eleu one day and ferry over to the famous harbour island. Yes definately bring sufficient cash since most places do not accept credit cards or charge you extra for use of the card. Our car rental payment was upfront in cash.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 03:04 PM

If walking around and doing a bit of siteseeing is important, you might consider Harbour Island as your vacation. Lots of houses onisland that are rented out, and it's close to the beach wherever you are, since the island is so small.

There are several good spots for dinner/lunch and a bit of shopping and a few nite spots, Eleuthera really has very little in the way of entertainment.