Driving in Aurba

Mar 16th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Driving in Aurba

My family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teenagers) will be spending a week in Aruba in mid-June. This is our first time to the Caribbeans. We will be staying at a resort in Palm Beach. We are thinking of renting a car for a couple of days to drive around and explore the island. Please help with the following questions:
- Is driving around Aruba safe?
- Is it easy to rent from the resort/hotel?
- Is parking an issue?
- Can we just rent a regular sedan or do we need an SUV?
- Suggested destination?
- Is 2 days enough to explore the island on our own? We will probably sign up for some of the tours too,
Mar 16th, 2015, 04:42 PM

I'll try to answer your questions:

1) Yes, driving on aruba is probably as safe or maybe even safer than where you live. Just use the same common sense you do back home and you'll be fine.

2) Most car rental companies offer free pick-up and drop off at hotels. The concierge or Activities Director at your hotel will be glad to arrange a rental car for you.

3) In most cases you should have no difficulty parking your vehicle.

4) Unless you plan on doing a lot of "off road" driving a sedan will be just fine.

5) Depends on what you like to see or do. Google "Things to do in Aruba" for lots of great information.

6) You can see a lot of the island in 2 days.
Mar 23rd, 2015, 06:31 AM

Yes I highly recommend a car in Aruba. We always rent one. Driving is very easy, good roads, and easy to read signs. It is a friendly warm island with lovely people. If you want to do tours then no need for the car. In tours you usually get info about the history you will not get from renting a car. If you like adventure they have an ABC jeep tour. Not for the faint of heart, a bit rough and rocky but a tour you won't forget. The kids would probably love it--if you have a bad back not advisable. There is horseback riding on the beach, and a visit and dip into the natural pool. Depends on what you and your family like to do. Aruba will have something for everyone.
Mar 24th, 2015, 04:36 PM

My husband and I just returned from 4 days in Aruba. We rented a car from the US and picked it up from the airport. Driving is relatively easy but streets are poorly marked and they have traffic circles instead of traffic lights so you need to be cautious entering and exiting the circle. We drove from Palm beach, where our hotel was located, to the lighthouse and a little beyond, to see the rough,non swimming east side of the island. We also went to Oranjestad. Parking was not a problem for us. If you are planning to stay at your hotel in Palm Beach, you probably don't need a car. There are many local restaurants, and many people use taxis to go to restuarants that are not nearby.
Aug 12th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions.

We did decide on renting a car. I am so glad we did. It made it easier to see more of the island. Even though the island was small, there are lots of places to visit. It also gave us more dining options. We drove all over - from the California lighthouse to Baby Beach. Had a great time.