Reload this Page >

Dress Code for St. Lucia/Ladera

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Shawn

Hi,<BR><BR>We are going on our honeymoon in April and will be staying at Ladera in St. Lucia. I am curious what the dress code is there - especially at the restaurant. Also, I am curious about dress in general around the island. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 12:11 PM
mary

To Ladera, I wore a khaki skirt and white top. My husband wore khaki shorts and a short sleeve botton-down shirt. This seemed fine. I did see a couple women in casual black evening dresses. The island in general is very casual. Swimsuits aren't recommended in any restaurants.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 06:59 AM
mike

Shawn,<BR>Unless a restaurant specifies jacket, or jacket and tie, dressy casual is always the way to go. Mary is correct about swimsuits -- they are never acceptable on the street if you go outside of your resort. And within your resort, they are probably only OK at the beach bar or very casual lunch location.<BR>Soapbox time: If you wouldn't consider going downtown to a restaurant or diner in your hometown while just wearing your swimsuit or swimsuit and long tee-shirt cover-up, why (and I'm not aiming this at you, Shawn, but at the tourists --as opposed to visitors-- who do it) would you even think of doing it in someone else's hometown? <BR>Sorry, it just bugs me that people don't think about the disrespectful message they send to their hosts on the islands when they wander around the market or the stores in a bathing suit. {Sounds of Soapbox being put away}<BR>OK, back to your question, knit shirts and shorts (not short shorts) are always acceptable, even for dinner at most places. But bring slacks and a special long dress for a special night either at Ladera's restaurant or if you go off-campus to a nearby restaurant that's been recommended to you.<BR>Maybe I'm just an old poop, but it always feels good to spiff up a bit before a meal--makes it a little more special I guess. My wife and I and another couple have rented a house at Tryall several times -- we have a long running golf tournament that may never end -- and we always liked to dress up a bit for dinner. After all, our cook, Patricia, may her spatula be blessed, puts a lot of effort into preparing wonderful meals for us, and it seemed that we were giving respect back to her and her efforts by coming to the table dressed up for the event.<BR>I guess I went on a little more than you needed. Sorry.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Shawn

Thanks - no worries, I'd never wear a swimsuit to a restaurant. I was mostly curious about whether or not dress shorts and shirt/sundress were acceptable or if we needed to dress to the nines every night. Your input has been helpful.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Kim

A few sundresses are fine but take 1-2 nice dresses for dinner also. Hubbie took Khakis or dockers and a summer jacket but never wore a tie.