Don't make long distance calls

Old Jul 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't make long distance calls

My wife and I stayed May 2012 for 10 nights at the Westin St. John. We don't plan to ever return. Yes, the beaches are beautiful but other places have nice beaches too. The resort is very over-priced, service is not worth the rates they charge, the rooms need to be significantly upgraded. But the biggest disappointment we had were the hundreds of dollars added to our bill for long distance charges. I had a travel package that said I could make free local and toll calls while at the resort. I asked at the front desk if this was correct before making any calls and was told it was - so we called our kids and other family members while we were there. But the resort charged us for the calls anyway and wouldn't adjust our bill. So just beware - they lie to you about this and I can only believe it's so the resort can share in the profits. The Pirates of the Caribbean work at the Westin St. John!
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 01:50 PM

from whom did you purchase your travel package? if it's writing then you should be able to contact westin hotels for resolution.
if that doesn't work, you could contact the ombudsman at conde nast travler.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 05:25 AM

Sorry, I don't understand. Were your kids and family in the Virgin Islands or were you calling a 1-800 number? I would not expect free "local or toll calls" to apply to calls home to the US. Am I missing something?
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with baladeuse on this. "Toll" calles are different from "long distance" calls.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 06:57 AM

Yes, I have to agree with baladeuse and schmerl - OP seems to have confused "toll calls" with Long Distance calls.

To clarify, here is a definition of the difference as found on the AT&T website:

Local toll calls - also known as regional toll calls - are typically itemized calls that appear on your local phone bill. These calls span greater distances than local calls, but are not long distance calls. They may be within your area code or a different one - across town, or in the next county.

Too bad that OP's misunderstanding of the difference caused him and his family to incur some unanticipated expenses but it is not the Westin's fault.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 02:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree. If the OP was calling home to the US/Canada that is long distance, which is NOT a local or toll call.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 03:02 PM

"free local and toll calls" means the local calls are free, and they won't charge you for dialing long-distance, but they will charge you for long distance.

All free calls would be "free local and free long-distance"
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:41 PM

My advice to anyone with a smartphone or pad is to use Wifi with a app such as skype or my favorite, GrooveIp when traveling. Last month I was at the Westin Grand Cayman, used Gthe free wifi in the lobby to make all my calls. Wifi calling worked well in Europe for me last year