Reload this Page >

Does Barbados Observe UK Holidays?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 01:17 PM
Debbie

Going to Barbados in late May-the 29th is a bank holiday in the UK-will this also be observed as a holiday in Barbados? <BR> <BR>Staying at Bougainvillea on the South Coast-any first hand comments about it? <BR> <BR>Also, planning to take an organized island day tour-if anyone has done one of these, would appreciate feedback about how they were. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 05:11 PM
Cathy

I'm not sure if they will observe the 29th, but chances are good that they will. Bougainvillea is very nice. It's located on the south coast, and is among the best hotels in the area. Touring the island is an excellent idea. You could drive yourself, it's pretty easy to find your way around, but there are also several good tour companies. Bajan Tours is good, as is LE Williams, or you could just hire a taxi driver - just agree on a price up front and make sure you wouldn't be getting more for your money on one of the tours - they usually include lunch and drinks.

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 01:44 PM
Debbie

Hi Cathy-Thx for the info - looks like the 29th will be a beach day !! <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 12:10 PM
Dave G

Hi Debbie, <BR>My wife and I are thinking of visiting Barbados next year. How did you go about your trip around the island and how much in sterling did it cost ???? <BR>Would you recommend Barbados. Thanks.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 06:16 PM
Debbie

Hi David-we thoroughly enjoyed Barbados-it's beautiful, and the Bajans are very friendly. We opted not to rent a car, but relied on public transportation-taxis/buses/mini-vans or an organized tour or two during our stay. Sure, having a car allows for more freedom to come & go at your own pace, but we find our trip to be more relaxing by not having a car at our disposal-that way we can both enjoy the scenery as we're headed to our next stop. <BR> <BR>We paid for our trips in US $, so I can't answer your question about pounds sterling prices-the US $ is roughly half the advertised Barbados $ price of something. <BR> <BR>Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did ours. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Dave

Hi Debbie, <BR>Thanks for the reply it just seems that Barbados is expensive for tourists and I want to just get an idea before we put pen to paper to confirm our holiday so if you have any ideas of prices in US$ that would be a help as we have been to the US so we would have an idea of $ to £ for this year. Nice to hear you would go back but what did you think to Bridgetown as it does not get a very good review on the message boards from anyone. <BR>Thanks again.