Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Do you have to be a guest at Cap J to go to the beach there?

Jan 24th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Grace

Hi everyone,

Maundays Bay, the beach on which Cap J sits, looks breathtaking. If I were to stay at a hotel on Meads Bay, would I be able to go to Maundays Bay? Where is Maundays Bay exactly? Is it near Meads Bay?

I looked on a website that said beach access was avaliable through the resort only. Then I read all beaches in Anguilla are public. How would I access this beach?

Thanks!

Grace

Jan 25th, 2003, 03:45 AM
penny

No you do not have to be a guest, just enter by Pimms, there is also a parking lot. As the hotel takes up most of the beach, the villas are all spread out, almost the entire cresent, with chairs and umbrellas in front. Lots of non guests walk the beach, or use the end near Pimms, or the far end of the beach.
Cove Bay is its sister beach, left in the natural state, sea grass and all! Its nice to see that one too.

Meads is a wonderful beach, you cannot go wrong, about a 5-8minute drive, on the opposite side from Maundays. Its one of the best on the island! Check out
Shoal Bay West, and of course the famous Shoal Bay. Anguilla is a beach!
Have fun!

Jan 25th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Susan

Hi Grace! All the beaches on Anguilla are public.

Jan 25th, 2003, 06:27 AM
Curious

Just wondering.....are you allowed to use the lounge chairs in front of the villas if you are not a guest? I mean can you park in the lot and walk all the way down and choose any chair you wish and lounge for the day or are those reserved for the guests?

Jan 25th, 2003, 07:51 AM
penny

Curious-chairs and facilities are for guests only. Always has been that way, no lounges in front of restaurant Georges, either. Now- CJ has signs posted, beach is public, lounges etc.
are for guests only. This is a new sign, just noticed it last April. CJ's beach has a lot of beach attendants, for towels, sorbet, drinks etc. Its easy to spot not guests! Unlike Caneel Bay!

Jan 25th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Curious

So as a non guest you can walk & swim only but cannot use chairs, floats, etc. Reserved for CJ guests only

Jan 25th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Curious

That would be right...chairs, loungers etc are for PAYING guests. Why the heck should the hotel provide freebies to the public???

My suggestion: you belong at Atlantis, oops, I mean Comfort Inn or something and just use Atlantis facilities. I think you would fit in there better.

Jan 25th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Curious

Actually Curious too, I have reservations for a pool villa at CJ and I just wanted to make sure that what happens at Atlantis does not happen at Cap. Since the pool villas are on the West end on the beach the furthest point from the parking lot at Pimms. Although it will be our second trip to CJ within a year, I did not know what the policy was, since our last visit we were also on the West end of Maundays Bay. I hope that is ok with you. Why are you so nasty, haven't been away in a while or do you just get your kicks by posting nasty remarks because you don't actually know the answer?

You are ignorant and boorish.

Jan 25th, 2003, 11:01 AM
xxx

Curious, YOU have the problem.
You know EXACTLY how your posts are likely to be interpreted.
You have written them as if you're a potential 'crasher'.
This topic has come up many times before when people want to know what they can get away with by freeloading at a nice resort.

Hopefully your vacation will settle your attitude, dearie.

Jan 25th, 2003, 11:31 AM
curiousx (not curious!)

Actually, my experience at many places that even though you are not staying at a hotel, you can use the facilities if, for example, you are using the bar or the restaurants and not just hanging around.

Some places have a small charge for this - $10-30US. Some places actually count on a bit of drop-in trade. Of course that doesn't work at AI's where there are no pay as you go options, and that therefore have little or no capacity to accept cash or credit cards.

If in doubt, I always phone the hotel first, and ask what their policy is.

Jan 25th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Curious

I have never freeloaded in my life DEARIE, as I don't have to. Actually, I was wondering how the initial poster was going to go to Maundays Bay. If you have been to Cap, you would know as there are just enough lounge chair/umberellas/floats for the guests spaced in front of the villas. Even though all beaches are public, it seems as though it would be quite uncomfortable to visit Maundays Bay without being a guest at Cap. It is not like Shoal Bay where you can hang out at a bar have lunch and use the lounge chairs -I guess if you have ever been you would understand.

Jan 25th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Anon

Agree with most comments - we stayed near (but not at) Cap J last summer and visited the hotel, and the beach, several times. We walked down the beach and had a coffee at one of the bars (George's, I think?). But we did not have the least inclination to use the lounging chairs, they were obviously set out for guests of the hotel and it would have seemed quite rude to just sit down there or even ask to pay for a chair. It seems obvious to me that if you want to use the facilities of this hotel, you should be willing to pay the price of staying there!

Jan 25th, 2003, 11:46 AM
penny

Curious since you were recently at the hotel, you might have noticed the signs. The hotel does a very good job in maintaining the policy. I have seen people asked to get off the lounges. I must say there is not alot of beach traffic from outside the resort, and it is a public beach! Nice to have all public beaches!

A few years ago CJ did not have the "gatehouse" on the road to the villas, and cars would park on the end. I must say in my many many times at the hotel, Pool villa included it has NEVER been a problem. The hotel has a nice new policy on the villa road, no taxis allowed, or rental cars to be dropped off. All of this is now
done at the main building. Of course once you get your rental car, you can park it within the gates, next to your villa.

On busy Sundays a few large boats moor,
and do lunch at Georges, will use the beach near Pimms, then move on.

I did hear when Janet Jackson had the end villa she had her bodyguards "block" the beach area in front of her villa. Not sure how long they got away with that, but as a hotel guest I would be annoyed, as I walk the beach end to end every morning, as do lots of joggers etc.during the day!

Stephen Tyler does not have a bodyguard, nor many "stars" at the hotel!

LOL about Atlantis, its a 2000 bed hotel, right! I different league than CJ for sure!

Jan 25th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Curious

Thanks Penny & Anon,

When you stay at the West End you are situated far from the traffic of the resort. I honestly did not see any signs posted, but I was not looking either. As a matter of fact, my husband and I had a terrible experience at Atlantis (we got suckered in, people we know had a great time when they went - HA) We went to Atlantis for a long weekend to have fun, gamble, get some sun. Well, it was awful actually as there were no lounge chairs to be had for the Atlantis guests! They were all taken up by people staying at a less expensive motel. Needless to say, accommodations at Atlantis/Royal Towers are quite expensive and there was no place to sit either the beach or the pool!!! We do not talk to to those people anymore. So that is the reason for my question, sorry if my "lounge chair paranoia" bothered anyone. I am definately not a "crasher".

Jan 25th, 2003, 01:26 PM
penny

There is never a lounge chair problem at CJ! True you can claim your lounge with towels, etc. and leave them when you walk the beach or go to lunch. Sometimes as the villas get busier, the beach staff will have to add chairs, or get more umbrellas etc. Just ask!!
Have a great trip and enjoy the pool villa!! Please post and let me know!

Jan 25th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Get off

Give me a break, you have such an attitude. Dont talk to the people who "Suckered" you??? Wow, great person you are. Dont you know yet that many people have different ideas of what is fun??? I personally dont like Atlantis either, but I would never look down on someone who does!

Take your attitude and stuff it girl, why do people like you always have to make statements like you do? Think you are better than most I guess. But one thing is for sure, class didnt come with your money. I agree with the poster above who said the way you worded your question and again in your following response, you sure SOUND like a free-loader. But you probably dont realize it, you are so full of yourself. The original poster asked a legitimate question, NICELY, and got kind responses. Maybe you should consider trying that yourself next time.

Jan 25th, 2003, 03:28 PM
x

One reason registration will be a good thing:
people like "curious" will either behave themselves like adults or be shouted off the website.