Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Do we have time to visist an out island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 08:13 AM
Hallie

I have been reading some wonderful posts about the out islands of the bahamas. We will be arriving at Nassau at 1PM on Friday and Departing at 3PM on Monday. Would we be trying to cram too much if we stayed on Cable Beach for two nights, then took the fast ferry to Harbour Island, stayed one night then flew back in time for our flight out? It seems like an intriguing idea, but I wonder if I'm pushing too much. Any options would be very much appreciated! <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>H

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 08:56 AM
Doug

Hello Hallie, YES... you have plenty of time to include a trip to the out island of Eleuthera/Harbour Island. You can catch the fast ferry from the Potter's Cay Dock at 7pm Friday to arrive in Governor's Harbour at 9:30 pm. The next morning you can head for Harbour Island and finally on Sunday, you can spend the day exploring the rest of Eleuthera and return to Nassau on the Fast Ferry from Governor's Harbour leaving in the afternoon . Feel free to email me for details and lodging while in Eleuthera at [email protected]

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 06:25 PM
Robert

Another option would be to take the go-fast boat from Nassau to the northern, pristine area of Great Exuma Island. I believe the package includes meals, snorkeling in the underwater and protected reef park, visiting Allen's Cay with all the iguanas, and then touring another outer island in Northern Exuma. I think I have some notes about this trip in my past journal entries. If you're interested, I could look up and list the particulars. Robert

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 10:15 PM
tweedy

Hallie, the trip over to Harbour Island is beautiful and you have just enough time to get there enjoy the island and then head back to Nassau to head home, but I promise when you get there, you will wish you had stayed there for your whole vacation, and you will already be planning on going back. <BR> <BR>The fast ferry leaves Nassau early am and returns around 4pm, there are 2 crossings a day, weather permitting. The trip takes about 2 hours. <BR> <BR>The other option is Bahamas Air which is about a 20 minute flight into N. Eleuthera and then a short taxi and water taxi ride over to the island. <BR> <BR>There are several nice places to stay on island and you can get more info from the Harbour Island website www.briland.com <BR> <BR>For your first trip over, I would limit your stay to Harbour Island. Eleuthera is 110 miles long and you have to have a car to see anything and the ride from Govenours Harbour to Tarpun Bay is almost 2 hours. <BR> <BR>If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know. Have a great trip. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 08:27 PM
7 out

no but youll have plenty of time to visit an out house though!!!