Dividend Miles vs. Capital One

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a Bank of America USAirways Dividend Miles Visa for years and I like it a lot. I have gotten many free flights. Well, when I heard USAirways may be in real trouble this time, I started investigating other cards. Capital One looks good...any airline and no annual fee. Dividend Miles is $50 per year for their standard card.

Anyway, it looks like USAirways has pulled themselves through yet again but I am still considering switching. Anyone have Capital One? How do you like it? Is it really "No hassle?"
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:29 PM

Have had Capital One for 6 years -- use it for everything & fly free to the Caribbean every year. Absolutely true what they say in the commercials: no blackout dates (they're "paying" for the seat so it's not one the airline is holding for ff fares). Only problem is that they charge a fee to book your traveling companion so when I find a really good fare, I book him fast & call Capital One right away. Never had a problem getting a seat on the airline & itinerary that I want.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:45 PM

I second the vote for Capitalone - I've had my milesone card (gomiles now) for around 5 years, and love it, and always recommend it to friends who are looking to 'earn' something with their credit cards.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 06:24 PM

1 thing to keep in mind is that on each flight Captital One only has a certain amount of seats reserved. My brother & his wife had to put their trip to Europe on hold a year because when they originally tried to book using their miles there were no seats available on any flights, and they were even willing to move their dates around to a certain extent. Other than that, it's a great way to use miles.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 03:45 AM

I also have a USAirways Dividend miles card and I started researching different cards on the internet and narrowed it down to two the Capital One and Chase Travel Rewards - we ended up going with Chase - the amount of miles needed for certain trips was less. Haven't earned enough to use it yet - so can't comment on that but it supposedly is also a "no hassle" card. You can check it out at www.chasetravelrewards.com
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Mary...when does this fee for booking a travel companion come into play?

If I have enough miles to book 2 free flights there wouldn't be a fee right?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 12:43 PM

The fee (which is small) is for booking someone on a "regular" ticket at the same time you are being booked on the freebie. 2 tickets at the same time -- no problem.