Search

Dengue in Aruba?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2010, 03:03 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dengue in Aruba?

Hello all. I'm looking at the CDC web site and they mention dengue fever in the Caribbean. I'm sure many of you know dengue is spread through mosquito bites. I would think Aruba is such a dry climate mosquitos and dengue would not be a big problem, but am I wrong? Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 06:32 AM
KVR

Been traveling to the Caribbean and Mexico since 2000. Never had any issues and never got an vaccines. We carry mosquito spray and use as necessary, which is not often.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 08:10 AM
P_M
Original Poster

I'm glad to hear that, thanks KVR.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 08:55 AM

Dengue is rather prevalent throughout the Caribbean, so if the CDC reports some instances there I'd believe it but it's relatively rare for a tourist to get Dengue even on islands where the disease is more widespread (Puerto Rico, for instance). Just like it's extremely rare for a tourist to get malaria, though it's endemic to most of the bigger islands in the Caribbean. Aruba is dry, but it does get some rain, and during hurricane season the rains can be intense. I doubt it's a very big deal, but there's only one way to prevent Dengue (repellant). There's no vaccine.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 08:58 AM

I imagine it's possible that some traveler has gotten it, but we've flown into Caribbean islands where they have big signs as you come through customs saying they have it on their island,and like KVR, we've never had an issue and we've never used mosquito spray.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:24 AM

You will be fine in Aruba! I sometimes carry mosquito repellent just in case.. and have my sun lotion on anyways!
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 05:12 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Thank you all for so much good info. Maybe we can find a sunscreen that doubles at repellant. Does such a thing exist? If not we will take both.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 02:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Aruba has trade winds that seem to keep it feeling bugg-less. If that is even a word! I never encountered any buggs in aruba. It is also a very arid island with little rain. When we were there for a week, it rained for 5 minutes one day.

I believe my neice had dengue fever when she was young, but she lives in Puerto Rico. So, her chances are a lot higher than the average tourist.
You can take a bug repellent and I have seen the bugg repellent/sunscreen before. Just take lots of sunscreen! You won't believe how fast you can get burned! Aruba aloe is nice to put on a sunburn.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 04:16 AM

Dear its true it spreads through mosquitoes , mosquitoes are every where this aedes mosquito lives and breeds with human population in their leftout water filled containers and it very efficent to spread disease like dengue because it is day biter and the host is aware of its bite during the day therefore it can not take single meal from one host it infects all the member of family.

we have this mosquito in extreme desert also