Delta cancels flight: $ for NR tix change?

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 12:25 PM
flyaway

Delta cancels flight: $ for NR tix change?

Bought tickets on Delta flight - 6 AM in order to connect to Air Jamaica flight at 8:50. Delta has canceled the flight (flight was to be in November).<BR>Can get another Delta flight at airport 90 miles away which will allow me to make my connection. <BR>But will Delta charge me for changes to Non-refundable tix, even though they caused the change?<BR>I'm going to call Delta, but if someone has had this experience, it will help me make the case that they should not charge me (the flight from the other airport will cost me more, and I'm ready [well, not really ready, resigned to it is a better way to put it] to pay that, but I don't want to get stuck with the change fee, too).

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Patty

Did you book the entire reservation through Delta including the Air Jamaica portion? If so, I would imagine they have to get you on that connecting flight or to your final destination via another carrier. What flight did they try to re-schedule you on? We had Delta tickets to fly into Cancun through Atlanta once and they cancelled our flight into Atlanta. They ended up re-routing us on another carrier through Mexico City - we were fine with that as long as we made it to our final destination at approximately the same time.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:54 PM
ex airline employee

Next time I would book the Delta connection as part of your package. Delta and Air Jamaica code share that flight. It is also usually, but not always cheaper that way.<BR>Since the flights were not booked together, Delta has fulfilled their obligation of booking you on a flight within 2 hours. Unfortunately, you are not entitled to a refund, but they should waive the change fee.<BR>Ask them to put you on a flight the night before and book a cheap hotel near the Atlanta Airport.<BR>

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 05:38 AM
Dave

Your travel agent that you booked the trip thru should be able to handle all this for you. Thay's why we always use a TA. When things get sticky they are there to work it out!

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 07:54 PM
flyaway

Thanks for the input. I left out one minor, but possibly important, point. The AirJam and hotel is one package, the Delta R/T to Atlanta was a standalone.<BR>I was afraid the answer was going to be what ex airline employee says, Delta will deliver me within 2 hours of the original time, so I'm locked in with them unless I want to pay the change penalty.<BR>On the return flight Delta has cancelled the late flight that I would have taken out of Atlanta. Now their last one leaves before I can clear customs, if I come back on the AirJam flight I'm currently ticketed on. But the late flight to the nearby airport is still running.<BR>I'm not going to screw around with the AirJam portion.<BR>Odd how, if I wanted to change to the later flight, Delta would sock me with a change fee. When they cancel a flight and make me have to change my plans, I can't charge them a fee.<BR>Well, I'm going to try to get out without the penalty fee and see if I can just get them to reticket me on the nearby airport flights.<BR>I'll let you know how it goes.