Search

December Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
December Trip Report

My husband and I were in STJ for a wonderful week Dec. 5-12-we took advantage of lower airfares and discounted villa prices and would definitely come back at this time of year. We stayed at a small villa at Coral Bay, "Paper Moon" which I chose because it was on the beach, came with a kayak, and is near the snorkeling beaches I was interested in trying. It was charming, the owner built it by hand himself and it had a lot of careful attention to detail in the woodwork, floors, layout, etc. It is small, but perfect for the two of us, although there is a loft with another queen bed. There is no a/c so we never closed the doors but let the breezes blow through the screen doors and windows. I felt a bit vulnerable at first as I am used to a locked tight house, but it ended up feeling free and wonderful. We spent all but one day on the East Side--enjoyed snorkeling and beaching at Salt Bay, Little Lameshur, Waterlemon and Francis Bay. We saw turtles at Waterlemon and Francis, also squid and wonderful coral formations plus the ususal Caribbean fish. The highlight of Lameshur was sighting two huge spotted eagle rays and being able to follow them for awhile. We hiked to Rams Head and Drunk Bay and also Yawzi Trail near Lameshur where there is an excellent snorkeling spot (where we saw the rays) and also very exciting coral formations. The colors and integrity of the coral was better on STJ than anywhere I have snorkeled before.

We enjoyed breakfast on the porch at the villa every day. There was only a tiny water view, but lots of lovely landscaping. I knew not to expect waterviews and thought it would bother me, but after all day at the beach it was kind of nice to come home to the greenery. We packed a lunch every day but the one we ventured into Cruz Bay and enjoyed it on the beach. We ate dinner at Miss Lucy's, Sweet Plantain and Shipwreck-all were good but none outstanding. Lunch in CB was at the Balcony a lovely setting, even in a downpour. After lunch in CB we wandered about Caneel for awhile (we were dressed a bit more formally than beach wear and no one bothered us for being in "for guests only" areas. We only walked around, did not try to use the beaches.) We also checked out the North Side beaches, it was late in the day so we could walk in and look around without a fee. All in all, we decided Coral Bay and the beaches over there are what we like best.

We had great weather even though Tropical Storm Olga was hanging around while we were there. It was only murky water on the last day when we went back to Salt Pond. There was some rain every day, but it never bothered us. We took out the kayak twice but didn't venture too far as it was windy and choppy, but had a nice paddle along the shore.

It is a gorgeous island, with really friendly people and not too crowded at this time of year. Oh, we rented a jeep for the week and had fun getting used to the left hand driving and crazy steep roads and turns. TG the speed limit is 20mph and most people do drive slowly.

We'll be back for sure.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the trip report. We just returned and I'm already itching to go back. We really just started exploring the east end this past trip. There are so many spots still to check out.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Thanks for posting your trip report, SnorkelSue. I especially enjoyed reading about all of the great snorkeling on St. John--the more I read about it from you and others, the more I think I'll end up there on day, despite all of my prejudices.

Was your villa actually on the beach? Or do you mean on the hillside right above the beach? I was under the impression that no villas on st. John were directly on the beach. If so, I'd love to hear more about it. If not, I'd like to know how long and how rigourous is the walk UP to the villa from the beach.

I think you may get more responses if you repost with a new title that mentions St. John. "december trip report" doesn't say much about the location, 'cause even if you posted it under the USVI section, it still shows up in the general Caribbean forum.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 06:00 AM

ejcrowe -- I know of several villas on STJ that are actually on the beach. Can't remember most of their names offhand but I know Gibney Beach Cottage is one. There are others on beaches around the island, I know one is on Kiddel Bay and there are some others around Coral Bay and somewhere around the East End. You just have to look around and you will find some. But it is true that most of them aren't right on the beach. Beachfront ones do cost more!

snorkelsue -- Thanks so much for the trip report. We are heading to STJ one week from today and can't wait!! We are staying at Honeymoon Cottage near Francis Bay and appreciated reading about what you saw while snorkeling. Do you have any photos you can share?
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Our villa was "at the beach" rather than "on" it-it was set back a little, but only a one-minute flat walk to the water. It was part of an area called Johnson Bay Estates. I rented through Beachnuts Vacations, but I've seen it listed with other villa rental companys.

I regret that I did not have a camera on this trip-we were 3 ft. or less from a wonderful turtle looking right at us with his mouth full of grass.

Honeymoon Cottage sounds great and Francis Bay is lovely-Enjoy!!

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Nice report. Thanks for taking time to share for future travelers like ourselves. MDW and I are going back in October celebrating our 10th anniversary. We were married on the beach at Magen's Bay - such a beautiful enchanting spot that has given us some wonderful memories through the years. We, too, plan on renting a auto for the week's stay -- and liked the idea of the Jeep, but several recommended against it since it's open and securing valuables a problem. How did you take care of that concern?
Thanks again.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

The jeep we rented was a Wrangler and it was closed and we were told not to open it. True a determined thief could slit the plastic and get in. We left our wallet in the locked glove box which would be more difficult to break into. We never had anything else very valuable in the vehicle.