Dean

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dean

There is a hurricane in the Caribbean, named Dean. My DH just flew out this morning for our first on-island owners' meeting since Ivan destroyed our building.
All of you in the path, take all safety measures and stay safe.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 05:08 PM

So far both Jamaica and Cayman are in the path.

After Ivan I sure hope we miss this bullet.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 05:09 PM

CaymanSue... nice timing your hubbie has flying to Cayman into the teeth of a threat...!

Folks can check http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ every six hours for updates, but latest update has a Cat 3/4 storm passing just to the south of Cayman around 7am Monday... not a good thing to think about.

Here at The Reef, our proud boast of "all beachfront suites" means that at times like this we have to board up early, so we started today.

Nobody was ever hurt being over-prepared, but we won't allow ourselves to be under-prepared.

A busy few days ahead !

As an aside that shows how big the Caribbean is, one of my sons is in St Vincent right now at a tennis tournament... about 1000 miles away !

They will be missed by Dean, but then their flight back was due to follow the path of the storm, so we are keeping the team down there for a few extra days rather than rush them back to an island under storm warning.

Cross fingers for all islands in the path... and I hope I don't go offline from this forum for several weeks like I did after Ivan ! Oh, and that brings back memories... it was so wonderful to have so many people asking about the welfare of both myself and many others in Cayman after Ivan... a great feeling to read it all when I got back online.

Would love to post email updates during the storm (if it passes close to us), but unfortunately my blackberry runs on MS Exchange and we'll have to shut down all the servers by Sunday and move them to a safer place... so it will be txting only !
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 05:46 PM

We're having some picked up wind here on St. Eustatius, but I think we are pretty much out of the main path to get anything heavy. We'll see how things fare tonight and tomorrow.

Stay safe everybody who is in harms way.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM

ditto statia's words.
Stay safe everybody who is in harms way.

tom will be interested to hear from you when you are able. good luck!
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 07:15 PM

Statia &amp; waring I wish I could be in your position right now. At least the worst is <u>almost</u> over for you guys.

Ahh Tom. It's so good of you to think of updating us all as the storm passes over the Cayman islands.

Unfortunately I know that Fodors will be so far from my mind during those hours that I cannot make such a promise if that wretched Dean does hit us here in Jamaica.
I think everyone here was waiting on some confirmation that it was definitely going to hit. Even though it's still a way away and anything can happen I think that we have received somewhat of a confirmation and so preparations will start in earnest tomorrow. I know I'm definitely starting to board up tomorrow! I just hope that if it does hit, it hits in the daylight hours. I think I almost had a heart attack when Ivan passed over us in the night time!

Of course, we're in a unique position here in Jamaica. We are scheduled to have elections on the 27th of August...

This is definitely going to be an interesting month one way or the other!

Stay safe Tom &amp; Cayman Sue's DH!
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Looks like it made a real mess in Martinique. Apparently they are classed as being outside the hurricane corridor and don't have the appropriate building codes etc.

Had a bit of wind and rain an hour or so ago, but not even storm level.

Looks like Jamaica and the Caymans are going to get it full in the face. Batten down the hatches and good luck to all in it's path!
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Good luck everyone. Especially to Jamaicans. I just heard that as of now, the eye is going to go right over Jamaica. Wow.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:00 AM

JAGIRL- I am praying for a dogleg turn. Not to wish ill effects on other islands, of course. Stay safe. My thoughts are with all the wonderful Jamaican people.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Earlier this morning I spoke with my friend in Treasure Beach. She said that it was a calm sea and the air very still. Ominous, indeed.

She was in the process of boarding up, securing furniture and getting ready for many more tasks.

When she took breaks, she was reading from her bible. I assured her that many here were praying along with her.

Take care everyone !

Marion

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:06 AM

from DH:

If you’re using BlackBerry, you may know this, but just in case - make sure you exchange your PIN# with all of your BB contacts. As long as your carrier can provide coverage, you'll be able to email directly between devices via RIM servers (even if the internet is down). Also, if possible, have at least 1 additional fully charged battery for each device.

Be safe.

Bloom
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 11:02 AM

The forecasted path takes it right over Jamaica on Sunday with wind speeds of 150MPH (130KT). This could be a major disaster. Martinique and St. Lucia are reporting wide spread damage across both islands leaving many homeless and severe flooding. My prayers are with all of our Jamaican friends and their families.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 11:40 AM

I'm thinking of you folks in Jamaica and Cayman Islands, too. It certainly feels like you've had more than your fair share of hurricanes lately.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM

I was just going to start a thread to wish everyone in Dean's path luck and came acrossed this one.

Tom,
I really wish you and the people of the Cayman Islands good luck and maybe the storm will miss you...you sure do not need another one after Ivan.

JAGIRL,
Stay safe and I hope this storm also misses Jamaica.

Good luck everyone..
Christie
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 04:26 PM

I doubt that there is much I can say to comfort those of you in Dean's path. Just stay safe!!! My thoughts are with you.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Be safe all...
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 06:56 PM

In many conversations today with friends all over Jamaica, I expressed my thoughts and prayers for everyone.

I also let them know about their Fodor's friends, from all parts of the world, who worry and care about their safety. Most of my friends have no computer access and limited TV channels (off the beaten track, and all that !)

But the idea that visitors to their island, remember and care about what they may face, seemed to mean a lot to them.

If this sounds overly *sappy*, I apologize. But I would like you all to know that thoughts and prayers right now, may bring that wonderful Jamaican smile back into their lives.

Marion
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 06:59 PM

As Brenda and SanParis say...thinking of you all and be safe...
My fingers are crossed and good karma sent your way...
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 10:53 PM

This is a copy/paste post from a very popular weather tracking website. stormcarib.com

&quot;Preparations went into high gear today, everyone was busy shopping or starting to bunker down in anticipation of mean dean which was the talk of the day, many businesses closed a bit earlier to allow employees time to get prepared as the government and disaster agencies met to finalize their emergency plans.
Jamaicans are no fools, we have learned how to prepare from two of the toughest hurricanes of the century Gilbert in 1988 and Ivan in 2004 and we are seasoned, hard boiled hurricane survivors and once again our survival skills are about to be tested to their limits, and i believe, truly believe that we will overcome once more. to all our affected neighbors dust yourselves off and prepare for the next one and all the others out there say a PRAYER for us.&quot;

Our prayers have been sent...
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 05:42 AM

Arrgh, I've been without any mid of media for a couple of days--I had no idea it had gotten that bad already.

add my thoughts &amp; prayers to the long list already here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -