Reload this Page >

Curacao or St Maarten???

Search

Curacao or St Maarten???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Lilli

Curacao or St Maarten???

Would like to visit one of the OTHER Dutch Caribbean islands. Have already visited Aruba and love it!!!!! We like nice beaches, swimming, nice restaurants, and some night life. Will be renting a car for a week. Thanks

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Barbara

definitely St. maarten which has beautiful beaches, fabulous rstaurants and a great night life. Plus the added advantage of the french side which is toally different in culture. Curacao is nice..has a charming town, is more "Dutch" than St. maarten, but there are no really nice beaches there.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 09:01 AM
Andrea

Lilli,just to let you know my husband & I loved Curacao & contrary to the other persons reply there are beautiful beaches on the island. Casabo & Klein Knip are just gorgeous! I would highly recommend the island. The Marriott is wonderful & has some great restaurants!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Debi

We went to Curacao this year - and I went to St Maarten a number of years ago. If given a choice today, I would go to Curacao again. Here's my reasons: Curacao has a lower crime rate (by alot), Curacao is very close to Bonaire (quick flight) which is a nice way to split a vacation - both islands had very nice beaches and the snorkeling/diving was fabulous, I thought people were friendlier in Curacao. That being said, St Maarten was a beautiful island - and had more restaurants. But - I would take Curacao again - it's more laid back.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 10:45 AM
BillK

Curacao no contest. St Maarten has, unfortuneately, become overdeveloped and more dangerous over the last 10 to 15 years whereas Curacao has maintained some island charm and is much less americanized.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Sally

We have been to all the Dutch islands: Aruba (several times), St. Maarten (several times), Bonaire (once) and Curacao (once). It is a bit hard to explain why we visited Curacao only once. We did stay at a wonderful hotel (Avila Beach) with a lovely beach and a beautiful tropical garden at the entrance. However, we felt slightly 'unsafe' at Curacao - nothing I can put my finger on, just a feeling. And we liked the variety of St. Maarten. I should add, though, that the last few times we always stayed on the French side (St. Martin), which we preferred (even though we are Dutch). <BR>Bonaire is also beautiful, with a nice natural area visited by flamingoes.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Rex

Crime in Curacao is far higher than St. Maarten. The hotels in Curacao are much spread out and not too concentrated reason why you do not see crime. Willemstad is a nice town in Curacao, but dead at night which is a pitty. St. Maarten has better beach, though Curacao has a few good beach in which you would have to pay a fee to make use of it. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Tim

How can you say an advantage to curaco is that it is a flight from bonaire? <BR>Wait a sec, from St. martin you can TAKE A FERRY to anguilla, Saba, St. barts, etc........ <BR>No one wants to for a day anyway.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Tim

the Americanized and crime statements are MOST LIKELY by people who have never been to SXM.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Tim

I meant no one wants to fly for a day.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 09:17 AM
andreagm

I think I've finally figured out why so many like St. Martin. It's CHEAP!! You get what you pay for........

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 09:46 AM
BillK

Andrea, <BR>Couldn't agree more but Tim's going to be upset.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Tim

St. Martin is very expensive( not that thats a good thing), actually. <BR>No need to start a fight on travel boards! Unite.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Tim

Most islands have different hotels, and you can find cheap hotels, or luxe hotels on most islands. Dont be telling me staying in a villa smack ont he beach is cheap!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Tim

Hwo can an island be cheap? <BR>Is it cheap to get there? <BR>HELL NO <BR>A nice hotel for 10 days or a villa during high season? NOOOO <BR>The restaurants? OH MAN!! <BR>The shopping- depends what you get <BR>What else would you think is cheap about it. The price is what turns most people off. <BR>

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Karen

The answer is go back to Aruba ! I went to St marteens, Aruba then Curacao and then low and behold back to Aruba. Learn from my experience skip the other two and head back to those beautiful beaches and wonderful people of Aruba.Karen

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Tim

You went to st. maarten and you still dont know what its called? :0