Reload this Page >

Culebra Island, Puerto Rico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 08:47 PM
stephanie

Have heard bad stories about flying to Culebra, i.e.; plane never leaves on time to or from Culebra, hard to get transportation once on Culebra. Any of this true? <BR> <BR>Also anyone familiar with Tamarindo Estates Beach Resort or Isla Bonita Hotel on Culebra? Where have you stayed/would you recommend? Have also heard stories about lots of bugs in some hotel rooms. Should we take our 2 & 4 1/2 year olds to Culebra or stay on PR? Thanks for any answers to my lengthy post!! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 09:36 PM
Louis

Throughout the Caribbean, all small local airlines often don't leave on time and flights can be cancelled for a variety of reasons. There are several flights a day to and from Culebra along with the ferry. On Culebra you can rent cars and I am certain that there must be taxis but I never looked for one. Transporation would be no more difficult that on most small Caribbean islands. There are bugs, ants, neseeums, mosquitos, and other insects throughout the Caribbean. I think there might be fewer in Culebra since it does not have much growth or rainfall. <BR> <BR>At best most places on Culebra are modest and are priced accordingly. We have stayed at the Tamarindo. The houses are comfortable enough, the pool is nice and the snorkeling is pleasant. It does not have a sand beach. The thing we disliked most was the rough road to get in and out of the Estates. <BR> <BR>I am not a good judge on where to take children since we never had any. However, if I did have some I would not take a 2 or even a 4 1/2 year old to Culebra or even Puerto Rico. I think they are too young to take the health and other risks that you would find in trabeling from home and in the Caribbean.

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 08:47 AM
Maira

Stephanie---- The standards for drinking water in Puerto Rico are the same as the standards for drinking water in New York. They are both regulated by the US Environmental Protection Agency Region II. Been an environmental Engineer from Puerto Rico, I have to wonder what type of credentials/health department sources did Louis use to substantiate his warning to you on bringing infants to PR. The only warning I can think of is mosquito/insect repellent. <BR> <BR>Bring your kids to PR. They will have a blast. Let me know if I could be of further help.

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 08:58 AM
Jim

Stephanie, <BR>Don't know what health risks Louis is referring to. We're taking our three year old to PR tomorrow. Will tell you about when we return. <BR> <BR>Jim <BR>

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 09:30 AM
stephanie

Thanks to all who have responded. Maira, I've read your very informative responses to other PR related questions. I appreciate all of it & your input to my questions very much and may indeed contact you for more info. in the future - thanks! I didn't realize Culebra was hit hard by hurricane - good to know. We've taken our kids to other carribean islands so I'm not too worried about health risks, mostly about the remoteness of Culebra - what about medical facilities? <BR> <BR>Jim, I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences - have a great time!

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 05:46 PM
Snydly

Stephanie, husband and I went to Culebra for Christmas holiday. Just give yourself extra time for flight connections in case there is a delay or cancellation. We rented a private house that was wonderful!!! used Kathy at Culebra Connection. Just put your body on mellow and go with it. It was the most relaxed vacation we have had. Do not expect to be entertained, you have to do that, just rent a jeep and explore the island and miles of deserted white beaches. ENJOY!!