Cruise stop in Nassau...help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for some advice on what to do in a (very) limited stop in Nassau. We don't like to shop at all. Where can we spend a few short hours? Decent beach or resort to hang out close by via a taxi? Any help is hugely appreciated.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Go to Atlantis and tour the DIG.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Since you have received only one answer, I will give my limited opinion. We also had a very limited stop in Nassau several years ago. (Husband was actually doing business meetings on ship, so I was alone for the stop). I got off the ship, did a little shopping, and since I didn't want to try to find a beach alone, went back to ship.

That was actually a good choice - most passengers had left ship, I got pool area largely to myself - the most relaxing day I spent.

(I know this is not the answer you were looking for - but I couldn't find anything all that great to do in Nassau for 5 hours either)
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 11:30 AM

Scott,
Closest I think to cruise ships would be Cable Beach but thats a strip of hotels and not that nice. Paradise Island is better, perhaps the Atlantis if you are looking for a resort, but its not the greatest.

Gail,
I had friends that love cruising and that is what they do, they stay on the ship mostly at stops and enjoy the ship to themselves. They don't cruise to visit places because its really a terrible way to visit a place, a few hours at a place isn't enough time to really see it...so they just cruise to relax. When they want to visit a place then they book flights and go there for a week or so. However, cruising does give you that opportunity to decide on places you'd return to for a longer stay.

I guess I'm the same way, I don't cruise but did take one...transatlantic on the QE2. It was great, no stops, just relax, arrive with no jet lag...I'd do that again.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to those that answered. My wife & I aren't into cruises, but we won this one from her work, so it's at least free. We will try and make the best of it.

My question is this, is Atlantis on Nassau or on Paradise Island? And just how bad is Cable Beach? We just want a decent place to chill for a few hours. Is the water dirty or something? Or is it just crowded? Thanks again in adavance....
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 12:11 PM

Scott,
The Atlantis is on Paradise Island, which I think has better beaches...more of your fluffier, sugary pink sandy beaches. Cable Beach is ok, its not dirty....more crowded but should be good to just chill for a few hours. Enjoy the free cruise, I'd do the same!
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Traveler863,
Thankyou very much, I'll check into Cable beach for sure. I assume it's an easy cab ride to get there?
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Scott,
Actually I think you can walk...but don't hold me to that! Have you ever checked out the message board at www.cruisecritic.com ? If not, give that a try, those people are die hard cruisers who know there stuff and can give you all the ins and outs of disembarking on Nassau. Good luck and please post a trip report, love to read.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can NOT walk to Cable Beach from the ship dock. YOu can walk up the street to the bus station and get the #10 bus which will take you to Cable Beach. You can get the ferry over to Paradise Island.
Cable Beach has very nice, calm water and great beaches. Paradise Island also has nice beaches.