Search

Crime in Jamaica?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crime in Jamaica?

We are considering going to Jamaica for a couple of weeks in February or March. My husband is concerned about the high crime rate in the country. Does anybody have any information or experience? Should we be concerned? Thank you.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Yes, you should be concerned about the high crime rate. Don't go.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:36 PM

heh. I'm actually just kidding. Feeling a little punchy tonight.

Seriously, I loved my trip to Jamaica in 2005. Spent 4 nights in Treasure Beach on the south coast, wonderful area with community-based tourism rather than resort-based.

You'll find this is a touchy subject that will get people on both sides riled up. You can do searches here for lots of long posts that will present both sides with a passion usually reserved for World Cup Football in the EU or SEC football in the US.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Where are you staying?
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Not sure yet about where to stay. Wanted to find out about the crime situation first. After sending the message I did find more past postings on the subject, and found that this is indeed a touchy issue on which there is much division, and no clear answer. Still tempted to go since the photos I've seen are so lush and the beaches look wonderful as well.

Any suggestion which part of the island would be best to go to? Any recommendations regarding accommodation? We don't want to stay at an all inclusive and like the option of going into a town to explore in addition to hanging out on the beach. Is there an area in Jamaica where you would be hassled less by vendors? Thanks.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:03 PM

What kind of vacation are you looking for? What's you budget? Are you looking for a resort or a boutique hotel or a B&B? Will you be renting a car?

I live on the North Coast but much prefer the South Coast and Portland as get away spots.

If you are looking for very...very...laid back then Treasure Beach is lovely. Jakes (Sea Puss if you can get it. Or one of the older cottages)or MarBlue are my picks. The beaches there aren't the best though.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:05 PM

BTW,
do a search for "tivertonhouse" and you'll get some excellent recommendations for places to stay in Jamaica.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:59 PM

There is crime everywhere. A couple of weeks ago a mother, her two sons and sister were murdered in cold blood and their house set afire to cover the crime. This in a VERY affluent suburb of Seattle.

Earlier this year a couple was jumped and robbed at gunpoint at their villa on St. John, considered one of the "safest" islands in the Caribbean.

There have been recent situations and events of similar statute that have occurred on Anguilla, St. Barths and Turks & Caicos...all considered "safe".

No island is immune from criminal activity, but do differentiate between crime amongst residents and those involving tourists. I have lived on St. Croix (considered high crime) and never witnessed nor was a victim of any criminal activity of ANY magnitude.

I have traveled to many islands, including Jamaica, and have NEVER witnessed nor have been a victim of any criminal activity of ANY magnitude.

We are annual visitors to Jamaica and consider it one of the safest destinations we could ever set foot on....even safer than places in our own backyard.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 02:13 AM

Jamaica's crime rate is citizen-vs-citizen, with visitors rarely victimized, other than perhaps being
scammed by a higgler in a craftmarket
or on the beaches of the big AIs in the tourist centers of Negril and Ochie.
MoBay is a city, with a beach. TREASURE BEACH (http://www.treasurebeach.net) on the remote South Coast, 2.5 hours from MoBay and PORT ANTONIO on the remote
North Coast, 2.5 hours from Kingston
are the untrafficked gems. Do A LOT of
online research to see if they're for you. Both areas are far removed from
the usual thrash of resortlands (no AIs,
crowds,usual tourists). Both are arguably the safest areas and least-hassle areas on the enrite island.
One option: spend a week in each.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the valuable tips. I think probably a week at Treasure Beach and a week at MoBay may be the way for us to go.

Any suggestions on some specific accommodation? We don't want an all inclusive. In Mexico we've been happy renting a condo. I don't want to spend more than about $200 US a day on the accommodation. A nice beach, a lush tropical setting with lots of flowers, and somewhere nearby where we can walk to and explore the local scene, a little shopping, and some good restaurants are our priorities.

Any specific places to stay in MoBay and Treasure Beach anyone can recommend? There would just be the two of us, myself and my husband.

Can one get by without renting a car on Treasure Beach? Is there a town in this area that one can safely visit?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:59 AM

I would, personally, skip MoBay and go to Negril. Better beach, many restaurants/bars....and most in walking distance up and down the beach. The only places I'd consider around MoBay are some of the more exclusive AI resorts.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Any places you can recommend to stay in Negril? Also is the water off Treasure Beach too rough for swimming? Thanks.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:10 AM

For beach accommodations I'd recommend Coco La Palm, Idle Awhile or Rondel Village. If you think the cliffs would suit your stay, then I'd recommend the Rockhouse. We prefer the beach in Negril due to its convenience to many restaurants and bars....all withing walking distance of our hotel.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:13 PM

I felt the exact same way before we went to Jamaica.We have traveled throughout the Carib.I had always wanted to go to Jamaica, but I had my reservations....
I am so glad we went.It was the most beautiful island with the most friendly locals.
We fully enjoyed our stay.
Find an upscale, safe place to stay and you will just love it!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:13 AM

We have 12 places in TB, simple to luxe and there are many choices in area that might suit. See WHERE TO STAY section
on the Treasure Beach Community Web site at http://www.treasurebeach.net.
If you're thinking MoBay (I'd suggest
Porty instead), your accomodations options outside the usual are limited AND generally high-end/upscale like
Round Hill or Noble House or a villa
in the Falmouth/Silver Sands area.
For Negril, Idle-A-While, The Caves,
Tensing Pen are favored choices. Regular
guests of ours stayed this past month
at Coco La Palm-- and the stories were not good.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:22 AM

I'd skip Mobay too....do Treasure Beach and Portland and you'll have seen my two favorite areas of Jamaica
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 01:05 PM

That is interesting Tiver. Do you have any specifics you’d like to share with the forum? We have stayed at Coco La Palm a total of 4 times in the past 4 years, ranging from 8 to 17 days. We are one of many return guest that frequent this place. In my opinion, definitely one of the top places to stay on Negril beach. Now I know you don’t really care for Negril and are a proponent of TB and your new haunt, Porty, but have you actually stayed at CLP? It routinely gets 3.5-4 stars on sites such as TripAdvisor….which is about right. It isn’t the greatest, most luxurious place to stay in Jamaica, but definitely full service with enough amenities to place it near the top of Negril’s places to stay. Another good source of information is their website which has a guest book where a plethora of positive remarks and reviews. The staff is top notch. As to the annexed Coco Inn (formerly Silver Seas), it isn’t that bad and provides an alternative price point for those who wish to utilize Coco La Palm’s amenities without the higher rates for the north side of the complex. By the way, the beach front rooms are very nice (5 in total) and all are considered part of the Coco Inn.

I appreciate your posts (when I can comprehend them) and you have given great advice to others on travel in Jamaica. And you may just not like the management or ownership of places like Coco La Palm as they are foreign interests as they pertain to Jamaica.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:37 AM

Morning, Caribbean Soul: I don't think you have anything to worry about re:your upcoming stay at CLP.
These guests' experience was an anomaly, however, a disgreeable one more and more to be
found in Jamaica. To wit: there's a pecking order. Kingstonian Jamaicans and white tourists are often
shown vastly preferential and mannerly treatment than that shown to US blacks, with upscale US black women accorded quite subpar treatment at some places on island.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:23 AM

eschach: We just came back from Jamaica. Stayed in Negril and visited the southern part. Loved it. Did not experience any crime. Will post a trip report later today or tomorrow. With pictures.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:36 AM

caribtraveler, welcome back! Can't wait to hear about your trip!

eschach, I, too, would recommend that you choose another part of the island over MoBay. But as Treasure Beach is the only place I've stayed, I'll leave the specific suggestions to the more knowledgeable folks. As for the TB area, my husband and I LOVED our stay at Mar Blue Verandah. We found out about it and booked through www.jamaicaescapes.com, which I cannot recommend highly enough.

Our room included breakfast and dinner, but I'm pretty sure there's a breakfast only plan you can get at Verandah. Tiverton will correct me if my memory doesn't serve, but I believe that if you stay at Mar Blue Domicil (as opposed to the Verandah) that the breakfast only plan is your only option. Anyway, both places are owned and run by a wonderful German couple, Axel and Andrea, and staffed by equally wonderful Jamaicans, includng Dennis who was our go-to guy while we were there. Great views, excellent cuisine, warm staff, and spacious & comfortable accommodations all add up to a fantastic value and a memorable stay.

We found the swimming to be quite good along most of the coastline that we walked along Calabash Bay where Mar Blue is located, as well as down next to Jake's/Jack Spratt. Immediately in front of Mar Blue the water would have been difficult to enter (that may have chabged by now, with coastlines being so mutable), but a 2-3 minute walk took us to a pristine swimming cove with nobody else around for swimming. We just loved it! And the bonus for the rocky entrance in front of Mar Blue was being able to listen to the waves there at night and falling asleep to that sound.

I know it sounds like I'm being paid to promote the place, but really, TB was just one of those places that becomes a part of you, calling you back when you leave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -