Caribbean or Mexico, where and why??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should we go to caribbean or mexico for great beaches and weather in March. Where would you stay and why??
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Your question is way too broad - without more information no one can tell you whether the Caribbean or Mexico would be right for you. Besides the Caribbean and Mexico cover a vast area and merely saying you want great beaches (they can be found almost anywhere) and great weather (average weather conditions will be pretty much the same) doesn't give us much to go on. As far as where to stay, that too is difficult since there are literally 1000's of places and each has it's own appeal. Add to that the fact that the Caribbean islands and the various resort areas in Mexico are all vastly different from each other so it is virtually impossible to tell YOU where to go.

You should do a little bit of basic research so you have some idea of what each general destination has to offer. You should then make a list of the 10 or 15 "things" that are important to you in a vacation and repost your question You should also let us know if you havee a budget for your accommodations and airfare (don't say you want 5-star luxury for 3-star prices as such a place doesn't exist), how much time you are planning to set aside for the trip, tell us is you are willing to take multiple flights (often in small planes) and/or ferries to reach your destination, let us know if you want a large mega-resort r a small inn. The more information you can provide the easier it will be to steer you in the right direction.

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I guess I was looking for an opinion rather than something very specific...a "my favorite is"...so to speak. I have traveled to the caribbean numerous times, never been to mexico. Been to Aruba, Antigua, Anguilla, St. Martin, Grenadines, Barbados, Bahamas...Cant seem to narrow done my next trip...I have been floating between BVI's (dont know which one), curacou, GC, or somewhere in mexico.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Ah, that's very different. Since this is the "Caribbean" forum I suspect you'll hear from a lot of Caribbean lovers. I've been to both and prefer the Caribbean to Mexico as I like small islands.

FYI - the BVI's are a great destination - easy to island hop, lots of great beaches, clear torquoise blue waters, fantastic views, spectacular sunsets, very good to excellent snorkeling, a variety of restaurants and more beach bars that you care to imagine.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I was thinking Tortola...any input about that particular island?
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Much has been written about Tortola on this forum - if you type "Tortola" in the search box you'll bring up lot's of interesting threads that will tell you everything you could possibily want to know. Also, visit the BVI forum at www.traveltalkonline.com it's very active with hndreds of BVI experts. Search the archives there for even more info.

Tortola is a well rounded island with good beaches, access to all types of watersports, plenty of restaurants ranging from budget to upscale, it has natural beauty, there's a variety of accomodations to meet most eveyone's budget, Roadtown has some decent shopping and you can easily take ferries to several nearby islands for day trips.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 02:17 PM

The thing I did not like about Cabo San Lucas and Loreto, Mexico - the water was too cold for us. Pacific Ocean at Cabo and Sea of Cortez at Loreto.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:21 PM

a traveler is right...Tortola is really the best alt in travel.

but i simply cant get away from the fact that because of passport regulations why anyone would not go to America's Caribbean...US Virgin Islands.???

Or even Puerto Rico??

Why Mexico?

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:34 PM

marbleheadguy - in many of your recent post you seemed to be fixated upon going to PR or the USVI mainly because US citizens don't need a passport. That is true but getting a passport is easy, it's good for 10 years making the cost less than $10 per year and allows you to expand your travel all over the world. Why are you so against traveling anywhere that requires a passport?
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input so far. Question...should I be concerned about swimming conditions (surf, undertoe) in the BVI's in mid to late March. I have read numerous things about this. I am floating between Tortola and Curacou. Completely different islands I know. I am thinking BVI's will have better beaches but Curacou will have the warmer weather...
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:51 AM

I've never been to Curacou but love the BVI's mostly for the options. Lots of different kinds of beaches on Tortola and the options of a ferry ride to Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke or St Thomas. Most of the beaches there are very calm but on Elizabeth or Joshua you can get some surf. It will be plenty warm in March in the BVI's.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:00 AM

wendy - really there's not going to be a significant difference in daytime temps between Curacao (March average 83 degrees F.) and Tortola (March average 80 degrees).

I can't compare surf conditions because I've not been to Curacao in March but I doubt you'll have too much of issue with surf conditions on Tortola - there are plenty of beaches on the calmer side of the island should the wavys be too active on the other side of the island.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I go to Puerto Vallarta Mexico every year. The beaches aren't as great as in the Caribbean but the people are friendly, the food is great, and the weather very nice in March.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:33 AM

I love the white sand beaches of Curacao and the dazzling blue water of the Caribbean sea. There is also a variety of restaurants available and a full array of activities. You can also enjoy the shops.