Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Couples OR, GLN, or Royal Hideaway for Honeymoon?

Jan 18th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Mai

Hello Travelers! I am in need of some assistance in choosing the best place to stay in Jamaica. I am in the midst of planning a honeymoon for the first week of June 2002 for my fiancee and myself (we are in our mid-thirties). He says, he doesn’t care where we go and that he trusts me (slick way for you guys to get out of it, huh?) Anyway, after doing much research on the net between Cancun and Jamaica, I THOUGHT I found the ‘perfect’ place for us. However, after reading many of your comments at this site, I decided perhaps I should inquire with you travelers further. We are wishing for an extremely relaxing vacation with no thought of homework, bed-time stories, or soccer and piano practices (we both have 3rd graders from previous marriages). We love our children immensely but really want some time ‘away’, mainly sunning on a beautiful beach, perhaps some snorkeling, a couple of tours, spa service, dining (gourmet as well ), and some moderate drinking. The emphasis here is that we want to do what we want at OUR leisure and may join in with a resort’s activities if we wish. I was almost ‘sold’ on Couple OR, but then I read the comments at this site. It seems that travelers couldn’t say enough about the beach at Negril compared to the other beaches in Jamaica. I saw more favorable remarks for Grand Lico Negril and began looking into to this resort. It seems to meet more of our expectations, but again we don’t know. The piece that concerns me is the ‘au naturel’ part. If you think me a prude, don’t. We will probably partake in some of this, but I have this vision of ‘naked’ people walking about. Is this unrealistic? Other choices are Sandals, St. Lucia, and the Royal Hideaway, Playacar. I’m sure I probably raised some controversy with the nudity address, but, well, you have your opinions and I have mine. Any assistance you can offer amongst the three resorts I would appreciate and happy traveling!

Jan 19th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Kristy

I've stayed at Couples Ocho Rios and can't say enough good things about it. The property has a nice layout, decent size beach, and the private island is not only relaxing, but a nice focal point from the resort. All of the au naturel occurs at the island, which is far enough from land that you can't see the details! And everyone on the island MUST be nude, so no one goes out there just to gawk. We enjoyed the food at all the restaurants. And the mixed drinks are as strong as you want. The staff is great--probably what we miss the most. Couples Ocho Rios includes excursions- horseback riding, Dunn's River Falls, catamaran cruise, shopping etc.

I've also stayed at Couples Negril, which is newer and has a larger beach. The au naturel is barely separate from the regular beach. So I saw several naked people there.

The only drawback to COR is that it is an older property. And if really large expanses of beach are most important to you, Negril would probably be better.

Jan 19th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Sue

Mai, We have been to Couples Negril twice and absolutely adore it. I don't particularly care for all inclusive but I loved the salads, bread and cheese. Breakfast was always good and I could always find something that suited me for dinner. The couples only part is absolutely the best thing. Escape from children! We took in several of the excursions the first time we were there but the second time around we just relaxed. I love the spa and a young lady there by the name of Althea was perhaps the best part of my trip. She gives the ultimate massage and makes you feel like you are the most important customer she has ever had. Overall the staff is wonderful. The beach is lovely. Although the nude beach is close by it didn't bother us at all. Just work your way down to the other end and you will never know. We did take a day away from the resort. Went to YS Falls, Bamboo Avenue and Black River. Loved that too! Good luck on your decision and have fun.

Jan 20th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Mai

Thank you so much Kristy & Sue! I don't think I have found such honest and frank remarks (without fear of repercussion from other 'emailer's') as I have found with yours. You have no idea what your thoughts mean to me. I think I'm a bit 'self-conscientious' after reading the emails at this site. At any rate, neither of you mentioned Royal Hideaway nor Grand Lido. Are there reason(s) for this and if so, would you like to elaborate? Otherwise, I believe you have both validated what I have already knew all along...Couples. Again Ladies, thank for taking the time out of your busy scedules!

Jan 21st, 2002, 04:51 AM
DebbieH

We have stayed at Couples Ocho Rios and really enjoyed it and have stayed at all 3 Lidos. We found GLN to be very quiet w/ not that much to do but did have a good vacation there.

My favorites are Beaches Royal Plantation (unparalleled) and Sandals Royal Caribbean.

Jan 21st, 2002, 06:22 AM
Joyce

I have stayed at both Royal Hideaway and Grand Lido Negril. Both are wonderful and it is hard to choose between them. That said I would choose Grand Lido Negril if budget is no issue (it is usually more expensive). Reasons
1) All rooms are Jr. Suites, they are larger than those at Royal Hideaway.
2)The Yacht Zein for Sunset sails, verify with your Travel Agent that it is not out for Renovation while you will be there.
3)The Chef won the "best chef" in the Caribbean the last 2 years. This does not mean all food is gourmet, it is quite good however.
4) More is included in the rate, such as Golf, Scuba, Manicure, Pedicure. You would pay extra for these at Royal Hideaway.
Whichever of there you choose, you will have a peaceful, relaxing time.

Jan 21st, 2002, 06:52 AM
Amy

Mai-
I would also have to say Grand Lido Negril. I was married there Feb 2001.
Negril by far has the best beach and better water sports.
I found the crowd at GLN to be a little older, more mature crowd. That was fine by me. I was not there to party like a crazy person every night. I was there to relax and get married in a wonderful tropical location. We did partake in tha activities a few nights. There are things to do there. It really depends on the crowd that is at the resort that week. We had 14 in our wedding party, so we were a "crowd" ourselves. Also, you may also go into Negril itself if you wish. We were lazy and never really felt the need to get off the beach.
About your concerns...au naturel...
GLN has a side of the resort that is clothing optional NOT au naturel. You will see both clothed and nude people there. Some of the best rooms are on that side of the resort. This is because you are literally just a few feet from the beach.
The main beach, or textile rooms are very nice. However, it's more of an oceanview. There is a grassy area outside of the rooms, a sidewalk and then the beach. I have also heard that the rooms on the main beach can be noisy because of the entertainment. The road is also right behind some of these rooms-traffic noise.
We stayed in a gardenview room, which is by the clothing optional rooms. It was very quiet & peaceful there. We spent so little time in the room that we didn't care.
I have heard many people comment on the rooms right by the dock for the yacth, the MY Zein. These are right on the ocean-there is no beach, it's rocky. But you get the sights & sounds of the ocean. It is textile, not clothing optional. If we go again, we will request rooms over there.
Email me if you have any more questions.
Good luck!
Amy

Jan 21st, 2002, 05:08 PM
Sue

Mai, Glad to be of some help. Regarding Grand Lido Negril, we have never stayed there so can't comment. It is right next to Couples Negril but is a bit more pricey so we feel like we get more for our money at Couples. We like the decor at Couples too. It is very casual, not fancy but unique and really pretty. We love the pool there. Wayne keeps it sooooo clean. Can't tell you anything about Royal Hideaway either. Hope this helps you.

Jan 21st, 2002, 05:48 PM
pmode

we stayed at Couples Negril on our honeymoon and we were a little disappointed. it was a nice resort, but not 5 star. the service was not consistent and the food was at times average. the beach was the best part- it was so amazing. but next time we will stay at GL Negril for better service and food. it is more upscale.

Jan 21st, 2002, 05:53 PM
Mai

Ladies, again many thanks for your opinions and insights! I feel so overwhelmed with information, I'm at a point where I need to make a decision and be done with it. Although I mentioned my fiancee left the decision-making to me, I did run all this by him and it seems we are in agreement with either Couples OR or Negril. I have been speaking with a travel agent at unforgettablehoneymoons.com and she has also been quite frank and honest with me. I believe Couples is more to the pace that we are looking for in a honeymoon. I just have a couple of more questions if you are all still interested in responding. It is important to us the beach piece but not a MAJORITY. Is Couples OR's beach really THAT inferior to Negril? When reading the description of the beach @ the Couples OR site, they describe it as 'white sand, clear water', but the travel agent tells me the terrain is a bit more 'rockie' in Ochos Rios. Bottom line...can we live with it? I have been to Honolulu many times as a youngster/teenager traveling with family and my rememberance is of nothing but powdery, soft white sand, and calming waters. Is this what I may expect @ Ochos Rios? It is often difficult to see into someone's mind-eye. I believe this is the only factor still standing in our way of making a definite decision. Any further insights would be greatly appreciated! Last question, I have been reading about entry to Jamaica and it seems either a birth certificate (with raised seal) or passport is required. As luck would have it, my fiancee has such a requirement. I, on the other hand, do not. However, I have my original United States Citizenship. Do you think this will suffice? Thanks again.