Coconut Habor/Sunset House

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 04:51 PM
Sipry

Coconut Habor/Sunset House

My husband and I are trying to decide between staying at either the Coconut Harbor or Sunset House while visiting Grand Cayman. If anyone has stayed at either of these properties, we would really appreciate any comments - How were the rooms, cleanliness, beach, pool, staff...Thanks very much.

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 09:50 AM
baked in the sun

I will assume you are divers since you're looking at those locations...Neither have beaches and they are both fairly clean...I would recommend that you check out Morritts in east end, amazing diving right out the door and an amazing beach with tons of amenities
http://www.morrittsgrand.com

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 12:24 PM
sipry

Actually, we aren't divers. We are looking for a place to stay for 4 days before we move to Morritts. Both Sunset House and Coconut Harbor are going to run us close to $200 per night - So far, I haven't been able to come up with any other place at that end of the island that won't end up costing alot more than that. We have decided that for the 4 days prior to moving to Morritts, we want to be closer to SMB. From your response, I am a little concerned about "fairly clean". Any other suggestions? Thanks alot.

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 12:23 PM
A real post

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 06:28 PM
Water man

Staying at the Coconut Harbor next week. Yes, we are a group of scuba divers. Does anyone have info to share? Can you suggest places to eat in different price ranges? Do we need to exchange our money?

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 04:19 AM
Misha

Don't worry about changing money. It's not worth the trouble. You'll get lots of Cayman coins for change, so spend them on liquor, magnets, whatever at the airport.

Cheap eats:
Eats, Hooks, (Treasure Isle) for breakfast buffet. In Boddentown try Mrs. Wood's Jerk stand & the Edge restaurant.

We didn't care for the Lone Star or Durty Reids.
Paradise Cafe in Georgetown is ok, locale better than it's food tho.

Our favorite, Tortuga.

Also, for anyone reading looking for reasonable place to stay with great water, look at www.turtlenestinn.com. It's not SMB. It's better.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 04:29 AM
Misha

Sorry, I cut myself off. Meant to say it's better situated if you want to really explore the entire island.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 08:05 AM
Sipry

We have been visiting Cayman since 1993 and have always found the food and prices to be very reasonable and good at both DJ's and Lone Star. They are both "jumping" places - alot of locals. Always good service and we have always felt great value for what you are paying. They are both very "layed back" - not fancy at all. We haven't eaten dinner at DJ's - lunch is always good. I would tell you to stay away from The Wharf - VERY expensive and terrible snooty service. We usually just have a drink at their bar which is outside by the water - the Tarpon feeding is fun to watch each night. For Italian - we love both Bella Capri and Casanova's - Bella Capri is located across the street from the grocery shopping center in SMB (I think it's Fosters but I could be mistaken)and Casanova's is located in Georgetown. Bella Capri is a little more expensive but does have romantic atmosphere and wonderful food. Casanova's overlooks the water but doesn't have the ambiance that Bella Capri has - but, they do have very good food. If I were to give you any advise about eating and drinking on Cayman, it would be to do most of your drinking at your hotel (with your own booze) - not at the restaurant. Any liquor added to the bill usually results in a bit of "sticker" shock. We usually have one drink and stop there. The Cracked Conch at the North End is wonderful for fresh seafood. If you like lobster, they have 2 HUGE tails for a very reasonable price (at least they did a year ago). It's right on the water and always very good - I wouldn't consider it cheap though. Also, The Lobster Pot in Georgetown is always great for fresh seafood - make sure you try some fried plantains there. Well, hope this helps. Enjoy!

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 08:16 AM
Sipry

Oops - I goofed - After I sent this reply off, I realized that DJ's wasn't the place we liked so much - it was Eats Crocodile Rock Cafe. We have eaten at DJ's and I wasn't very impressed at all. Sorry about my confusion!

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 04:54 PM
Water man

Returned from Cayman on Wed night- Sept 27. Stayed at Cocoanut Harbour.. Glad wife wasn't on this trip. Place was a dump. Dirty. Dive masters limited bottom time and depths unnecessarily. Group were all experienced divers- 10 years and more- with dive computers. So we were disappointed in that.
Food is expensive. 7 mile beach ok but not very wide. Guess it depends on where and what you have seen besides Grand Cayman. Don't think I would return. More places on this earth are better for diving, in my opinion.

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 08:39 AM
sipry

Wow! I am so glad that I didn't end up booking our 4 nights a Coconut Harbor! We are booked into Discovery Point - I'm hoping that it will be o'kay. Sorry that you weren't very impressed with the Island. We aren't divers so we probably have different expectations.