Clueless About Puerto Rico

Old Dec 19th, 1998, 09:51 AM
Skidmore

Clueless About Puerto Rico

My wife, two year old child, and I are considering a trip to Puerto Rico at the end of May. Is that off-season (i.e., lower rates)? How will the weather be? Can you drink the water? Is it safe to rent a car and drive around? Any suggestions on what to see -- I don't want to just sit around a pool all day. Any comments would be most appreciated. <BR>

Old Dec 19th, 1998, 03:43 PM
Maira

May is a great time of the year to visit PR. Try not to go too late in May as it is the end of the school year and there are a lot of end of year party/crowd type of thing. By all means, after you have enjoyed San Juan with its great historical sights and great restaurants, rent a car and get out of San Juan. I would strongly recommend Fajardo with its beautiful beaches and La Parguera (my hometown!) with the tranquil atmosphere of a coastal town. Great snorkeling!!! <BR> <BR>A note of caution: while in San Juan be aware of your sourrondings and try to stay within the tourist spots (Old San Juan, etc...). <BR> <BR>I haven't been to PR after the Hurricane. My family tells me is pretty much back to normal. The rates could start getting lower in May, maybe even more so as a way to bring back the tourism after the Hurricane.... <BR> <BR>A word of advice is that you try to read as much as you can about PR. Pick and choose the kind ot sights or activities you know you'll both enjoy. If you like, send out another post on this thread with the type of activities you and your family would enjoy. We'll try to help you.

Old Dec 21st, 1998, 05:06 PM
Diane

I'm going for a business meeting in January (a week in San Juan) at the SJ Marriott, then my husband will meet me and we're going to Vieques for a few days. I'll post you when I've come back. We'll be driving and visiting numerous places while there. I think I'll have had a chance to sample a VERY wide variety of what Puerto Rico has to offer!

Old Dec 21st, 1998, 05:09 PM
Diane

I'm going for a business meeting in January (a week in San Juan) at the SJ Marriott, then my husband will meet me and we're going to Vieques for a few days. I'll post you when I've come back. We'll be driving and visiting numerous places while there. I think I'll have had a chance to sample a VERY wide variety of what Puerto Rico has to offer! Check Paul Graveline's www.caribtravelnews.com I remember reading someone's post about traveling with a toddler. They found plenty to do!

Old Jan 1st, 1999, 08:37 PM
Joyce

Regarding renting a car--I would consider it safe. Last March a friend and I drove around the entire island--I would highly recommend getting out on the island away from San Juan to really experience Puerto Rico. We stayed in Joyuda on the west coast, Fajardo on the east, and out on the island of Vieques. I plan to return with my kids in the next few years. Feel free to e-mail me with more specific questions.

Old Jan 2nd, 1999, 06:56 PM
Ellen

<BR>I lived in P.R. for a year (90-91) and have gone back to visit a few times since. The weather is great all year if you're a sunworshipper like myself! I have never had a problem with the drinking water anywhere on the island. <BR>Driving however can be a concern. The traffic flows very quickly, there are some narrow streets and tight bends and please do not rely on drivers stopping at traffic lights or stop signs. I have driven there a lot but very cautiously. I can suggest many areas of interest. You must visit El Morro fortress, snorkel around the coral reef on Culebra (this island and Vieques belong to P.R. and you can take a ferry to either from Fajardo for $2-$3 U.S. per person each way), visit the beaches in Rincon and drive the scenic route to Maunabo (the latter two towns have surfing beaches with strong undertows so keep a close eye on your child). Feel free to e-mail me for more info. Oh yeah, I know quite a bit of Spanish if you need some vocab.! Buen viaje.