COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Cheap Caribbean vacation?

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Cheap Caribbean vacation?

Hi there - I have enough miles for a United frequent flier ticket to the Caribbean, but not a whole lot of money to do much once I get there. Can anyone recommend a destination where the plane ticket is the most expensive part of the journey? Late 20s single female looking to have a good time and also relax a bit. Thanks!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 02:05 PM

Cancun, Dominican Republic, Aruba, Jamaica
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Fodorites can argue with me but I feel the cheapest place in the Carribean is Isla Mujeres.
Visit isla-mujeres.net
What is so nice about it is the world class Norte Beach and the many small cheap resturants coupled with a small town atmosphere.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 05:54 PM

We came across island view guest house in st. thomas which has quite inexpensive rooms (abt 70/night) , gorgeous views of harbor, includes breakfast, offers cheap drinks and snacks, has beach towels and snorkel gear to borrow, has a small pool area, and owners who are immensely helpful--like staying with family--will gladly drop you off in town on the way to do errands or arrange for a cab if necessary. I would highly recommend it for a comfortable, friendly place to soak up some sunshine and relax on a budget.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Try Margarita Island. Your dollars will get you very far since their currency is quite devalued. Also, if you're young and single you should have a blast. The island is a popular destination for young people and thirtysomethings so you'll make acquaintances in no time (not filled with older tourists like many caribbean destinations). Venezuelans are extremely sociable and great people to hang around with (not to mention they love to party).