Search

Chartering a Catamaran in BVI

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2018, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chartering a Catamaran in BVI

Hello!
I'm doing some very preliminary research, looking to find a a good price, and good itinerary to charter a crewed catamaran in BVI. My wife and I have a small, tight-knit group of friends (most of whom are recent retirees), and we're interested in a calm week at sea.
It's looking like our timeframe will be somewhere in the vicinity of late February/early March. I've been told that it's the "busy season".
We're certainly not looking for a "party". Just a relaxing time "away".
Anybody have any recommendations as to where I should look for a good price on a chartered sailboat for 8-10 people? Also- what might a nice, relaxed itinerary include for a week away in BVI during the "busy season"?
Looking forward to any help!
Many thanks.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 06:11 AM

I would suggest you visit the BVI forum on TravelTalkOnline - Forums powered by UBB.threads. You'll find a lot of experienced BVI sailors/charterers who can direct you to the best available resources. They can also tell you how well the region has recovered from the hurricanes of last fall -- the area suffered tremendous devastation, including the destruction of many charter boats, and a lot of the BVI charter boat business has moved (temporarily) to other regions.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I'll check out the other forum. I'm not the most tech-savvy guy in the world, and my knowledge of online forums is pretty miniscule.
I'm certainly interested in finding out more about the recovery effort in the islands! I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't considered it.
Do you happen to know the area or charter businesses worth checking out? Also- are there secluded places one can find during the busy season?
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 07:34 AM

All the major charter companies are in the BVI, but since you are looking for a crewed boat with a larger-than-typical group, I would suggest you look for a charter broker (no cost to you, but their job is to know all of the crewed boats, and how they can accommodate you).

Frankly, I'd stopped chartering in the BVI because it was too busy for my tastes. I've no doubt that an experienced crew can find you quieter places, even during high season, but that may mean missing some of the must-see spots (like The Baths). And, of course, post-hurricanes, it might be quieter than it was 2 years ago. So you really do need to get some up-to-date info.