Reload this Page >

challenge to fodorites: find me a vacation for less than $1000

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Budget Queen

I know you are laughing, but that is our total budget for 2 people due to unanticipated recent bills and home repairs. We would still like to get away and are planning to go somewhere in the US or Caribbean in september. We will be traveling from Chicago and can be gone up to 8 days. We are a young couple in our late 20s, no children and are inerested in relaxing with no worries. We are not into roughing it and camping or outdoorsy activities like fishing or hiking. We prefer a beach vacation with lots of relaxing, golf playing, and some night life. <BR> <BR>Anyone have suggestions for this budget? I know there should be some 4 day specials out there for $500/person, all-inclusive, I just need help finding them. <BR> <BR>P.S. We also posted this on the U.S. board.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Mariarosa

Hi! check out www.frommers.com - they frequently advertise cheap packages in their daily newsletter. I think your best bet would be to get a package to the Dominican Republic. Try www.vacmart.com for cheap packages to the DR with charter airfare.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:23 PM
Penney

I agree - check the local sunday papers on Dominican Republic and Mexico. Also, try www.changes.com

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 03:03 AM
Stephen Schulz

Try these url's ( they offer new deals weekly ) : http://www.applevacations.com/jsp/sp...s01.jsp?id=ORD <BR>Also try <BR>http://www.funjet.com/cgi-bin2/hotde...irportCode=ORD

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 04:30 AM
Nadine

There is always The Bahamas. You can get short getaways at that time of year for your price range for Nassau and Grand Bahama. Nassau Beach Hotel and South Ocean Clarion are two resorts that come to mind.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 06:36 AM
????

Just can't imagine going anywhere warm, on the beach, from Chicago, where after you pay for your room, airfare, FOOD, you'll even have a penny left for golf. Maybe it's me, but it sounds VERY unrealistic.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Beth

This may not be that unrealistic. I saw ads in the Chicago Tribune last Sunday. Apple Vacations was offering 7 day packages all-inclusive with airfare all meals, booze and tips from Chicago to Punta Cana in a 5 star resort for $659.00/person. It seems to me that you could do a 4-5 day trip for $500. I haven't been to Punta Cana but here it is pretty, just not as popular and therefore, cheap!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Parrot Mom

Well, I have been to Punta Cana and there are bargains just read the Sunday papers and read the internet..we were at Catalonia Bavaro...it's off season for the resorts there and I'm sure there are BIG bargains.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Daniel Williams

All-inclusives in the Bahamas might get you close to what you're asking. For independent travel (from Washington/Baltimore), I think I did it about as reasonably as one can with access to a decent beach. This past Xmas I went to Orange Hill Beach Inn near Nassau in the Bahamas for 6 days/ 7 nights, spending about $800/pp. (Dec. 27- Jan. 2). Airfare was $350 taxes included, and I must say that price was incredibly fortuitous for that time of year. I split a large oceanview room with two others to do this however; there were free grocery runs which allowed us to save money, although I must admit we did splurge a little trying some Bahamian restaurants. I'll bet if you went to Nassau for 4 nights on an all-inclusive or find a less expensive inn (smaller room maybe), you might be able to manage close to $600/pp for the trip. (I might add we did not have ready access to golf, tennis, the like.) <BR> <BR>Honestly airfare alone to many Caribbean destinations will cost you $600 on most major carriers (charter deals may be an exception). The only places I've seen for less are Nassau or Freeport, the Bahamas, Jamaica and occasionally San Juan, Puerto Rico and Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. I can't say from Chicago, but I imagine it's similar if not more than from DC/Balto.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 11:20 AM
tivertonhouse

travelocity now offering 30% discounts on air jamaica to mobay for advance ticket purchase. cottages at www.cullodencafe.com go for us$50/night with private beach,wonderful restaurant and no tourists. golf however will cost you dearly/tho well worth it/at about us$175/game at TRYALL,former Johnny Walker and PGA championship course. The DR in general and Bavarro esp.is real tacky,no matter what the package price is.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 05:17 AM
Lara

Your best bet is to start checking the auction and discount sites. <BR> <BR>Travelzoo.com <BR>Site59.com <BR>skyauction.com <BR>ebay.com <BR> <BR>Also, as Stephen suggested, check Applevacations.com and funjet.com for last-minute deals. <BR> <BR>Let us know what you find! <BR> <BR>--Lara

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 01:26 PM
john

I was in St. Martin last February and met a woman who bid $3 for a hotel room for a week in St. Martin on that skyauction website and, believe it or not, was the only bidder! So a vacation for next to nothing is apparently possible. By the way, when she showed up at the hotel, the upgraded her to an oceanvie room at no extra cost.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Robert

There are always villas and condo's to rent for a week for less than $500. Check the back of Caribbean Travel & Life magazine. Sept. 2001 issues lists $500 week studios with kitchenette on St. Maarten/St.Martin. Usually, owners merely want to rent them out to someone who will watch their properties whilst they're away. Bring plenty of instant Ramon soup; easy to pack hoards of in the suitcase. Check it out, there are long distance phone calls to the owners, who mostly live in the U.S., but worth the call. You could also ask them where the inexpensive restaurants and food stores are to shop at and load up. Robert

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Doug

Double the money and take half the clothes. Just my opinion. Some good advice is above though.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Susie

What great URLs everyone! Budget Queen - please let us know what you do. <BR> <BR>I just booked 6 days at Discovery Cove, FL in September: airfare, hotel, DC, Seaworld & Busch Garden tickets - for under $500 total for BOTH of us. Airfare was an e-saver ($79/one way from anywhere in NY state to Orlando), and the rest was via Discovery Cove. It includes breakfast buffet everyday, lunch the day we go to Discovery Cove - we have to buy our other meals. We also got a free shuttle service between airport, hotel & attractions, so don't have to rent a car. I'm going to swim with a dolphin for my birthday!! <BR> <BR>So yes, these things are out there. I'm very excited as this is the first time I've found one. I have printed out this post so I can check out these sites. <BR> <BR>Thanks everyone!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 02:20 AM
Kaysie

American Airlines is running a 35% off Caribbean sale right now. A package includes -airfare, transfers and hotel, so the basics are covered. We've combined two or three islands for two or three weeks and it's been a bargain. Caribbean airfares are quite high. But, there might be something in your price range. They offer more hotels than the advertisements list. We've traveled this way several times and been quite happy with the arrangements. They have been running a spring and fall sale for the past several years now. You can travel until sometime in December, but check the dates because you have to book by a certain date...and if you do choose the Caribbean, please check out a guide book about the island first...not all islands are the same! Good luck with your travel plans.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 03:55 AM
Stephen Schulz

Ms. Queen: Here's some very interesting deals from Chicago via Air Jamaica Vacations. There are some four day all inclusive packages in your price range, but the best part of these packages is your flight leaves Chicago at 6:30 A.M. and is in Jamaica at 10:30 A.M. !!! <BR> Try this URL for these specials <BR>www.airjamaicavacations.com/sum/ord.html <BR> Don't forget to do your research on any property you may be considering.Have fun planning your trip, and good luck. <BR> Stephen Schulz <BR>

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 02:48 PM
Scottster

I used to live in Chicago and know there are many charter flights for $200 roundtrip (plus $70 taxes) to the Caribbean (Jamaica, Mexico, Bahamas) and sometimes other destinations. Try Apple Vacations or Vacation Hotline (I think) for Jamaica. Book air only and then find a cheap hotel on your own. Don't stay in the four or five star luxury hotels that inexperienced travellers use. Roots Bamboo in Negril, Jamaica has rooms for $35/night. See www.negril.com or www.negriljamaica.com. Charter flights usually go for one week only.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 10:05 AM
ohoh

Scottster is right. There are wonderful small family run hotels on the beach or on the cliffs in Negril you can get for a song off-season. check those urls!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Elena

Try Domenican Republic. Almost all resorts are all inclusive and there is intertaiment every night. Food and drinks are unlimited. Best value for your money! Try this site to find more about hotels there: www.debbiesdominicantravel.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -