Search

Caymans or Bermuda?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 09:22 AM
Jean

Caymans or Bermuda?

My husband and I are going to take a vacation in June and we cannot decide if we should go to The Cayman Islands or Bermuda. We have been to Bermuda and LOVED it. We went to Barbados about 4 years agao, and I would not go back there. <BR> <BR>I am concerned about crime, poverty etc. such as in Barbados. <BR> <BR>We are trying to decide on a place to stay if we go Caymans. Hyatt, Marriot or some place else. <BR> <BR>Any feedback would be of great help. Also, is it worth it to get a meal package maybe for a day or two and eat out and about the rest of the time? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 10:39 AM
Cheri

Cayman Is. are nothing like Barbados! It is a very expensive island, there is little or no unemployment, you have to look real hard to find any poverty. You will not be bothered by street vendors. It's fairly high class. It's the type of place where you feel safe walking at night or renting a vehicle and exploring on your own. <BR> <BR>It's almost like not even leaving home it has become so Americanized. Too much for me anymore. It's very crowded on ship in port days, which I swear seemed like every day the last time we were there. The traffic is fairly heavy especially if you are headed to town. <BR> <BR>There are a lot of good places to eat and I don't think I would want to be locked into one place solely. There is a wide variety, from US fast food places to elegant restaurants. <BR> <BR>7 mile beach is very nice and there is some excellent snorkeling on and about the island. <BR> <BR>There is also a nice selection for shopping if you're into that. They have duty free shops as well as souvenir-tshirt type shops. <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 11:17 AM
Lori

Go to the Caymans!!!! everything Cheri mentioned is true... but it's worth it. Just don't go downtown during the day when the cruise ships are in.... if you do, well it's not that bad - just pretend your in a crowded mall. <BR> <BR>The island is relatively flat but what makes it bueatiful are the people, the beaches and the clearest, warmest caribbean waters you'll ever see. If you go to the Caymans stay at the Hyatt or Westin. The Westin particularily is located on a very nice spot on 7 mile beach. As with a lot of spots on 7 mile beach, you simply can walk into the water and snorkel right off the beach and see fascinating underwater life. <BR> <BR>Also, snorkelling and diving there is first class, especially Stingray City - it is an experience of a lifetime to feed and hold a four foot, southern stingray. <BR> <BR>Lori <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 06:35 PM
april

Hello; <BR> <BR>My husband, daughter and myself went to the Cayman's in August 1999. We stayed at Marriot right on seven mile beach. It was nice. We went down the street to Chicken Chicken and ate there a couple of times. The food was very good. We also went snorkeling in Sting Ray city that was alot of fun. It is expensive but very nice and the people are very nice and helpful. The staff at Marriots was also very nice and accomdating. One day we rented a car from Andy's right across the street from the Marriots, they had the cheapest rates when we were there. They also dropped us off at the airport when we were leaving. Hope you enjoy your trip. <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 07:22 PM
Mare

I think June would be a great time to visit either island-we have been to both! Since you have been to Bermuda-we visited that island first also-I would suggest Cayman! You will love it! More of an international feeling there, as they employ people from all over the world! We stayed at the Westin Casuarina both times on beautiful 7 mile beach! I never saw a beach in Bermuda that could compare! Thats like comparing apples to oranges--Atlantic and Carribean! We are thinking about Cayman again for next year (the 3rd time) and have never really discussed going back to Bermuda! Hope this helps! Have a great time wherever you go!!!!

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 01:34 PM
waggie

Ditto all the positive comments about GC before me. Yes, I guess you could say it's more "Americanized" than other islands, but it's still a great place. Clean, safe, easy to get around, and wonderful restaurants. Snorkeling was the best we've experienced. Do go and stay in either the Westin or Hyatt if you can!