Search

Cayman Island Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 08:23 AM
Cher4Travel

Cayman Island Vacation

I would like an up to date message about the Grand Caymans. My husband and I, plus our dear friends are planning a week in May for anniversary. I know it is expensive and the snorkling and diving and fishing are supposedly fantastic. I have rented a beachhouse on Rum Point, the island sounds great! Can anyone give me any ideas as far as places to eat, etc. and what was so great about the island. Thanks alot, appreciate any info you forward. <BR> <BR>Cher4Travel

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 10:27 AM
Karen Gaum

My husband and I and his family rented a house on Rum Point last year and it was a terrific vacation. The only downside, and you've mentioned it, is the price of everything. Rum Point was a great place to stay, away from a lot of the tourist areas. Unfortunately, I don't remember the restaurant names, except one called The Lighthouse, which was great and there was an Italian one on the east side of the island that was great as well. You shouldn't have too much problem finding them since there aren't too many roads when you get out of Georgetown. My husband and his brother went out scuba diving every day and thought it was among the best they've done. We went into Georgetown one day and it was packed with cruise ships, so not a great time. There's a black coral artist in town, Bernard Passman, so if you want a beautiful piece of jewelry, it's the place to go. The tourist stuff, like the turtle farm and Hell are traps, so if you can resist, then avoid them. The Queen Elizabeth Botanic Park was beautiful, if you like nature walks. Most of the time I just sat on the beach, read, and looked at the beautiful water. Have a great time! I'd love to go back. <BR> <BR>Karen Gaum

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 11:53 AM
VICKI

In my opinion, you'll be staying on the most beautiful part of the Island and seeing what Island life is really like. The Rum Point Club (although not the thatched hut, rustic beach bar that it used be) is still a beautiful beach with a great food/bar service on the beach. There are picnic tables, etc. and you can arrange your snorkeling or diving from there. You need to take a trip to Sting Ray City from there, too. There is a ferry boat that runs from 7 mile beach (the Hyatt, actually) to the Rum Point Club, if you want to go to the other side of the island. The Hyatt now owns and operates the Rum Point Club so there is the casual beach restaurant as well as a nicer restaurant for dinner. I'd recommend both. As for 7 mile beach, and better prices, there are your usual chains - Wendys, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Dominoes - and other restaurants such as Good Eats, a cheap, American style diner with good food, Lone Star Bar & Grill, an inexpensive, fun Tex-Mex sort of place, Crows Nest, a small place with local cuisine, and others. Be sure to do your grocery shopping in town before heading up to the North Side of the Island. I'd recommend Foster's Food Fair and I'd recommend loading up on drinks, any alcohol you want and plan on at least one meal at home per day. Food is expensive there as are drinks! It's a beautiful island, with wonderful people and you're sure to have a great time. Have fun!

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 04:09 PM
Vickie

Thank you so very much for your wonderful take on Grand Cayman. It sounds like a great week for us, and a very special place Rum Point. Appreciate your in-put and thoughts. <BR>Cher4travel

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 07:44 PM
roger

Cher4Travel, <BR> <BR> I think Karen is wrong about the turtle farm. I found it to be very interesting. The turtles are a very big part of Cayman life. Many islanders made their living off sea turtles. The turtles were almost extinct at one point due to over harvesting by Caymanians. The turtle farm began in hopes of re-populating the Gulf of Mexico and this they have done. You can learn quite a bit about the islands history. Don't miss it! <BR> <BR>Roger

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 07:52 PM
Roger

Cher4Travel, <BR> <BR> I want to add a few things to my last message. Karen is right about the Italian place on the east end of the island. The east side of the island is called "East End". You can't miss this restaurant because it is the only Italian eating on that part of the island and it overlooks the reef. Beautiful place to eat and great food.

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 08:59 AM
cher4travel

Roger, many thanks for restaurant recommendation and The Turtle Farm is a definite MUST. My husband and I swam with green turtles in Hawaii (Big Island and Maui) and I felt is was not only a wonderful experience, but also a special gift to us both. I have never experienced anything like it! Happy New Year 2001

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 07:57 AM
Cinzia

Hey Cher, <BR>Any chance of catching on with you at rum point? Is there a particular reason that "rum point" is in your itinerary? <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 05:45 PM
Cinza

Hey Cinza...got your message this p.m...how about coming along, and enjoying (from what I have read) one of the best parts of the Caymans, Rum Point,for relaxation, beautiful sunsets, great snorkling, and a fabulous Italian eatery, from what I understand..also great beachbars close by <BR>..and a fishermans paradise. Run Point is quite (non tourist) a week with no pressure...you and Robert think about it...your travel'n buddy Cher...P.S. and don't forget, the rented beachhouse right on the sand, with the blue waters at your fingertips and toes..sounds REAL good to me!!!

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 05:02 PM
lori

Cher, have been to Rum point but not stayed there.... it's beautiful. If you find yourself on 7mb side do try the full day snorkelling trip with Capt. Marvin... 4 snorkel stops including stingray city (they hold one of the stingrays and let all the tourists hold them -it doesn't hurt them at all, perhaps they are a little scared now that I think about it, but I guess, what creature woudn't be scared with 13 people all holding them.. Anyway it's a blast. In addition to stingray city you see some coral gardens, a reef just off of stingray city where we saw one of the boat crew lure out and play with an amoray eel and reef shark - it was great. <BR> <BR>Restaurants to try.... again if you find yourself on Georgetown and 7MB area... <BR> <BR>For lunch... Paradise Bar & Grill... it's on the harbour in Georgtown. Not expensive and great view of the harbour and cruise ships. <BR> <BR>For drinks.... Rackums' Pub... in Georgetown on the harbour - again great place for drinks before dinner to watch the cruise ships leave for the day and the sunset. <BR> <BR>For dinner... <BR> <BR>Crows Nest - very good and not too expensive... shared appetizer, two entrees, shared dessert and two drinks each came to $89US <BR> <BR>Reef Grill - the best meal we had but very expensive - two entress and two drinks each came to $102.00 US It's worth it though... I hear the sea bass is "too die for" , so the next visit that is what I am having. <BR> <BR>Restarante Cansonava (spelling??) - itallian restaurant in Georgetown... we really enjoyed this place. Small & crowded but that added to the ambiance of the itallian talking waiters.... once seated you are served with some type of bread with olive, garlic & cheese on it to dip in a vinager and oil dip. We both shared a shrimp appetizer, free bread with meal ( the bread was soooo good we asked for a second basket), two chicken & pasta entrees, and a shared dessert plus a bottle of Frascati - bill came to $99 US. <BR>For a more economical meals try Hooks Seafood Grotto - 75US for dinner with wine plus they have a great breakfast buffet for $8.95 per person. Also, try Chicken, Chicken - it's like a Boston Market so you can eat in or have it to go.... whe had to go the whole seasoned chicken with two large side dishes and caribbean corn bread for $21 US... good food and excellent value. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps..... I'm sure you'll enjoy your vacation where you are but keep in mind you will be far from the Georgetown and the busy part... Some people like that - but we for example, enjoy being close to Georgetown, 7MB and restaurant... in any case - Cayman is beautiful and i'm sure you'll have a great time... <BR> <BR>Lori <BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Lori

Lori, Many, many thanks for all your wonderful information on Rum Point...I am really looking forward to this holiday after reading your wonderful message. Have noted all the particulars on your message, and we will definitely make use of all the wonderful eateries, places to see and do, can hardly wait!!! Again thanks, <BR>Cher

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 08:59 PM
Cher4Travel

Message: Karen Gaum <BR>Thank you for your information which you posted. I appreciate it. I know we will have a wonderful time. <BR>Cher4Travel