Carribbean snorkeling recommendations?

Aug 24th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Karen

Carribbean snorkeling recommendations?

Can anyone recommend location(s)with easy (i.e. directly from beach)snorkeling locations in the Carribean? Can be island, Mexico, C. America. Prefer very quiet location - not interested in nightlife or shopping. Two adults traveling, no kids. Also would enjoy hiking and cultural opportunities. Thank you!

Aug 24th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Mary Z.

Hi Karen,
Go read my response to "Cayman in January" so I don't have to type it all twice. I'm in the throes of planning your exact type of trip. The snorkeling on Northside is outrageously good, not to mention the stingrays...oh my...I don't get to go back until May '03.
Email me if you want to chat.
Have fun !
mz

Aug 24th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Police

Karen,

There is only one "r" in Caribbean !

Thank you very much.

Aug 24th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Penney

If you are looking for a quiet location with no shopping or nightlife and great off shore snorkeling, then I would highly recommend Turks and Caicos, iin particular, Coral Gardens.

Turks is really a desert island - miles upon miles of beaches without all the crowds, few stores in the town area that open when they feel (!), and just the most beautiful beaches we have ever seen. In front of Coral Gardens is a great snorkeling trail - very clear waters and so much to see.

Coral Gardens itself is a low key property with beautiful accomondations.

Aug 25th, 2002, 06:36 AM
islandvisit

the best snorkling in the Turks and Caicos is on the reefs off the islands. There is one spot on Provo (which is a Caicos Island not a Turk) at Coral Gardens that attracts everyone. The is an area roped off to try to preserve the area since it is a popular crowded place and one of the few spots that gives you a good snorkle from the beach on Provo. Some of the out islands and cays make boats available and included for snorkling trips and they are great dive destinations. Maybe a look-see at St. John or some of the BVI for great snorkling from the beaches where you don't have to do an excursion for snorkling.

Aug 25th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Nancy

Cozumel or Akumal (Can go to Chichen Itza and Tulum ruins for day trips.)
Turks and Caicos

Aug 25th, 2002, 05:05 PM
anon

Bonaire. The water is clear, visability is good and you can walk right in the water and snorkel almost enywhere on the island. The spots are marked along the road.