Reload this Page >

Carl Gustav Hotel - Any good?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2001, 02:31 PM
Craig Farquharson

I am looking for the best accomadations on ST. Barts. Were going for our honeymoon. Any recommendations are appreciated. <BR>Thanks.

Old May 1st, 2001, 06:09 PM
Carl Gustav

It's a very nice hotel. But then so am I.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 06:40 AM
Ashley

I wouldn't say it's the best- It's in the main "city"/port of Gustavia. There's no beach access. It's up on a hill overlooking Gustavia. I recommend that you check out LeToiny for the ultimate posh/luxury, although this is not on a beach. It's on the windward side of the island with a view of the ocean. We stayed at Hotel Isle de France for our honeymoon last year which I highly recommend. It's on Flamands Beach and it's one of the top hotels on the island.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 12:26 PM
Loraine

I've been going to St. Barth's for over 20 years. Stayed at the Carl Gustaf last year, and loved it. But I was with my cousin, and we wanted to be in town where the action and shopping is. The suites are small but posh, we felt very well cared for. On a honeymoon, however, I would not go there. I would want more privacy, more romance. I agree with the woman who reco'd Le Toiny - more privacy and romance. And it that's too pricey or you want a beach, I also agree with Isle de France <BR>It's hard to go wrong with luxe hotels on St. Barth's.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 12:36 PM
Karen

Harper's Hideaways recommends any of the three, Carl Gustov (all suites - "cottages" - with private plunge pools), Le Toiny or Hotel St-Barth Isle de France. Isle de France has 30 rooms and is described as "casually elegant beachfront."

Old May 3rd, 2001, 05:18 PM
Paul

Carl Gustav is perched on a hill and has a wonderful view of Gustavia and the port. But it's nowhere near a beach. Although it's a very nice place, you can get somewhere more suited to a honeymoon. Try Le Toiny (also not on a beach, but it's so nice you won't care), or Isle de France, a great place set on Anse des Flamands, a lovely (and uncrowded) beach.

Old May 6th, 2001, 05:16 PM
Cheri

I just returned from St. Barths and stayed at the Christopher Hotel. It's VERY nice for the price and I would highly recommend it. That said, I disagree with the comments about the Carl Gustav. It is located high on a hill above Gustavia, the main town, and from the hotel you have a lovely, beautiful view of Gustavia Harbor. Although we've never stayed there we do go up to the Gustav bar, every trip, for sunset cocktails and the view can't be beat. And from what I understand it is a very romantic hotel and we've heard of, and talked to, many hoeymooners that were staying there. Also, alot of the hotels in St. Barths are not located on beaches. This is not a problem because, the island is very small and you can drive (a car is a must) to any beach within 5, 10 or 15 minutes. Besides, the driving in St. Barths is half the fun of being there. Because it is so mountainous, around every turn is another beautiful view. I've heard that Le Toiny is wonderful also, but it is not located on a beach either and it is alot more off the beaten path than the Gustav. Hope this helps!