Caribbean Vacation for Two

Old Aug 5th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caribbean Vacation for Two

Hi

My wife and I are looking into converting a business trip to Orlando into an extended Caribbean vacation.

We're in Orlando Nov 2 - 5 and then we're trying to jump to an island for a week (+/- 3days).

We're both 30 and we typically prefer to bounce around staying at rental houses, but we're trying to burn up some travel points that will expire in January. So we'll probably need to stay in a resort. Neither of us has traveled to the Caribbean (live in Seattle) and we don't have a lot of time to research, so I'm putting it up to you.

We want to relax (till I'm bored), surf/snokel/paddle board, explore/hike, eat good/cheap and probably spend one good day spoiled.

Hope that helps

taylorjes
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 12:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Truly pretty much any & all Caribbean islands have the things you ask for.

Are you trying to fly out of Orlando? Or Miami?

Do the "travel points" have any particular resort chains you need to use them at? Or they would work anywhere?
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

We'll be flying out of Orlando and our points are pretty universal. WorldPoints

We're just looking for a little insight to narrow down the island. I guess we're looking for relaxing, but also a little exploring too

taylorjes
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 02:39 PM

If you are trying to fly to an island in the Caribbean direct from Orlando, you'll need to find out where you can go. A lot of flights go through Miami.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 02:44 PM

Seriously... start with a website like Expedia or Kayak and figure out what islands you can get to nonstop from Orlando. That will narrow down your list a lot.

Every island offers relaxing and exploring.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 04:19 PM

Every island offers that!

What budget do you have (air, hotel, points, etc) Start with Worldpoints, you might be surprised that you can/can't get certain places. You be surprised if that narrows places to stay down. For ex. not all resorts participate in Worldpoints

Nov. is slow season/hurricanes might affect where to go (might not, but get travel insurance)

Or if not Worldpoints, go to Fodor's Caribbean 2014. Brief descriptions and reviews of every island. Once you see which one excites you, come back and ask.

You question is like, business in London, which other European country to add? Too many, all different, totally broad.

Hope this helps us help you
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 04:22 AM

You said: "…we don't have a lot of time to research, so I'm putting it up to you" - sorry but that's a bit of a slap in the face to the contributors would normally be eager to help. You are basically asking others to do your homework. On top of that you haven't given us very much to go on other than you want to visit the Caribbean and do things you can do almost anywhere.

If snorkeling is a high priority for you check out Grand Cayman, the USVI's - you might be able to get there from Orlando, if not then you'll need to get a connecting flight in MIA.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 08:26 AM

I Googled "flights Orlando to the Caribbean" which took me to the Orlando airport's website Interactive Route Map. It shows availability to:

Aruba
Cancun
Bahamas
Dominican Republic
Jamaica
Puerto Rico
St Thomas
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 01:48 PM

I know that the St Thomas route is not non-stop. I believe you have to go through Puerto Rico, Miami or Ft Lauderdale.

You can get to Puerto Rico non-stop.
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 08:55 AM

Correct, that list did not indicate which were nonstop or required a transfer.

How about Negril Jamaica?
www.negrilonestop.com
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 10:02 PM

I'd say...St John...Fly into St Thomas and take the ferry or mail boat over to St John..There are many rental cottages..and also some condos..one large hotel..The beaches are amazing..the snorkeling is good to great if you know where to go..You can always take a day boat trip to different British islands or visit St Thomas for shopping and or sightseeing..Have a blast..
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 04:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Puerto Rico would probably be the most convenient from Orlando and has everything you are looking for,.