Caribbean islands with teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I loved Caneel Bay in St. John, but it is too quiet for teens. We are looking for a recommendation for islands/specific resorts with a great beach, great food, lots of on site water sports and nightlife for a 16 and 19 year old. We were considering Beaches, Turks & Caicos, but are wary of the quality of food in All Inclusives, and wonder if this resort is too kiddee? Thanks for any recommendations.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 03:11 PM

I'm biased towards the DR. Any Iberostar or Riu, is great for kids, and they are usually great values.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

We are leery of the "third world" nature of the DR. A fried went to one of these AI resorts and could not eat all week - unrecognizable food. They were also warned not to venture past the hotel beach. With teens, we want to feel safe for them to venture a bit on their own. We don't mind if the atmosphere is too "Americanized". So - nix to DR, Jamaica or Mexico. Other suggestions? Ideas re: nightlife for teens right at the hotels?
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 05:27 AM

What about Aruba? Very safe yet plenty of action. It seems to have everything you are looking for: great beaches, great food and lots of watersports and nightlife.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 05:35 AM

I would have recommended the Playa Del Carmen area for you. It is not in Cancun known for the party atmosphere, or where safety would be a concern for your children. The resorts are geared towards families and teens. I have been to Beaches in Turks and Caicos I saw many familes with younger children and to be honest, the Island is very quiet. Other suggestions might include Aruba, or Puerto Rico. PR is a U.S. Territory and is full of history and culture. Maybe consider a cruise. A visit to different Islands, and a teens club on the ship. One of my favorites is Barbados. Lovely beaches.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 06:47 AM

I would not rule out the DR. My family was very pleasantly surprised at the beautiful long stretch of beaches, great and safe for walking. Horsebackriding on the beach at sunset.Kyacks, catamarans, wind surfing at no extra expense. Banana boat riding for $8pp, all right on the property. Snorkeling right on your own beach.

There are organized activities for teens like soccer games, bocci ball,volleyball on the beach, merengue lessons, Spanish lessons.There is entertainment at night as well as a disco for dancing.

There are excursions on the island from the hotel. Swim with the dolphins and safari jeep ride .

The food I found to be very good. There is something for everyone. It is not gourmet, but we were very happy with the buffets. You also have the option for a few nights at a sit down restaurant of your choosing.

We stayed at the Iberostar Punta Cana. There are two sister properties on either side the Bavaro (more upscale...suites) and the Dominicana. I plan on retuning to this resort as this was the most relaxing vacation my family has ever had and we have travelled quite extensively. We too loved St. John. I would like to rent a villa, but the kids would be too bored.

We vacationed during Easter week and there was no lack of teenagers, American and European. A great cultural experience for teens. It was fun to practice high school Spanish too.

Wherever you decide to go, don't forget to post a trip report so we all can benefit. Have a great time.

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 12:21 PM
np

Just returned from Turks and Caicos with two teens.They hated it terrible food and lots of little children.We checked out early not worth the money.My teens like Maui.