Caribbean in March 2016

Old Jul 10th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caribbean in March 2016

Hello,

I am planning to surprise my husband for his 40th birthday with a trip to the Caribbean- March 2016. We have been to Turks and Caicos & loved it. We plan on going back in July '16. I have a budget of $1,400-$1,900, plan to stay 3-4 nights, don't really care for the crazy party atmosphere, and like a relaxed environment. We love to swim, snorkel, walk on the beach, drive & enjoy the scenery, shopping, etc… We don't mind nightlife, however, we don't want a party outside our room at 1am. It doesn't have to be all inclusive as we rarely drink, I am vegan, and will probably travel with boxed pasta, spices, and purchase groceries on the island. Each time I look, the cheapest tends to be Mexico, Jamaica, and Punta Cana- all places we don't want to visit. I've been looking at St. Croix, Nevis, Anguilla, St. Martin/Marteen, Cayman Islands, St. John, Tortola, Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire. I'm not a big fan of port towns, but if we do find an island we like that has cruise ships, I hope we can stay on the opposite end of the island.

Based on the info, what do you all suggest?
Thanks!
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 10:53 PM

Nevis, Anguilla, St. John and the Caymans are among the more expensive destinations in the Caribbean; St. Martin doesn't have great snorkeling and may have too much of a party atmosphere for you as does Aruba. Bonair has great snorkeling and a laid back vibe but beaches are not that great. Tortola which has great snorkeling but can be pricey if you are not careful in your choice of hotels/resorts. That leaves you with Curaçao and St. Croix as your best bets. They have all you are seeking.
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Roams Around! I have been thinking of St. Croix today & this may be where we end up.
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 08:51 AM

Consider checking out the Bahamas out islands (start with Treasure Cay, Eleuthera, Exuma). Quiet, off the beaten path, reasonably priced accomodations (villas on the beach or small hotels), friendly people and tons of stunning beaches (think Grace bay quality) waiting to be explored.
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 01:07 PM

Anguilla is expensive, and March is still high season there, but check out Turtle's Nest and Carimar. I am not sure if Anacoana has a kitchen. You may be able to find a place for 3-4 days that is within your budget