Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Caribbean cruise-need help with shore excursions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 1998, 06:17 AM
kristi

We're heading off to the Caribbean between Christmas and New Year's for a cruise to Barbados, St Thomas, St Kitts, St Lucia and St Maarten. Where's the best places to snorkel, shop for duty free items, lay on the beach and do nature hikes? Any help would be appreciated!

Old Dec 19th, 1998, 06:28 AM
Barbara

St. Thomas is the only real shopping-- jewelry items are about 1/3 what US prices are on diamonds and other gems if you are interested. We cruised there last Christmas and then just spent a week in St. Thomas this T-giving.

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 12:38 AM
kim leighton

We "rented" a taxi driver at each island. We told him we wanted to do a "little" shopping, see a couple important sights on the way, and then spend the majority of the time at the "best" beach. We then asked to be picked up there at a certain time. All were great to us and helped make our time on the islands wonderful. Very reasonable fares for the day. Musts are Top of the Mountain in St. Thomas for banana dacquiris and the most beautiful view you have every seen, then down to Megan's Bay (one of the best beaches anywhere as far as I'm concerned). In Barbados, go to Mullin's Bay and have dinner at the restaurant there outside (if you're on the cruise that lets you stay there till 10 PM). You can get ALL souvenirs at Cave Shephard. They have it all (there's one on the way to Mullin's Bay in a little shopping center on the right of the road). Have a great time--e-mail if any questions!

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 06:23 AM
Randy

My wife disagrees with Barbara on the only shopping is in St. Thomas. We cruised 2 years ago and one of our stops was St. Maarten. Jewelry stores are side by side. My wife was in heaven. What she liked most was that lots of the stores would negotiate pricing where the was very little of that in St. Thomas. She got some fine jewelry in St. Marrten and some jewelers in St. Thomas remarked about it and asked what she paid and they couldn't believe the price. My wife is dying to go back to St. Maarten. We were on onther cruise last year that had a stop in St. Maarten but that stop was canceled due to the hurricane. She was depressed. We will be back in April 99.

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 03:30 PM
Cassie

If you want jewelry, try Omni Jewelers in St Maarten. It is immediately on the left side of the road as you get off the cruise tender dock (BEFORE) you get to the main drag. We got some tremedous deals 2 months ago. <BR> For snorkeling, take a shore excursion from St Thomas to St John Trunk Bay. This is a nice snorkel trip, particularly for beginners. It has an underwater trail. <BR> Did you post on the cruise forum here - you might get more responses.