caribbean all inclusives

Search

caribbean all inclusives

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
caribbean all inclusives

Looking for an all-inclusive resort for a short break in either St Lucia/Jamaica. The food is really important to us - must be great! We want to go to a resort with quite a lot to do so you dont really have to leave the compound...but not lots of children. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Sunnyboy

I'm not a great fan of All Inclusives since I too like great food. In my experience unless you are going to stay at an upscale resort like Anse Chastenet (St. Lucia) which have meal plans but are not All Inclusive as you usually have to pay for drinks, the term All Inclusive and really great food is often mutually exclusive. Most AI's have food comparable to a budget priced chani restaurant.

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 05:29 PM

We have found the food at Couples resort better than just good.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

If you had a choice between St Lucia and Jamaica - what would it be? Has anyone stayed at Roundhill Hotel and Villa's?
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Royal Hideaway (Mexican Caribbean) Playa Del Carmen. No children allowed and gourmet food.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Sory, just saw that you wanted St. Lucia or Jamaica. For Jamaica -- Ritz Carlton on the Key to Paradise Plan (an AI Plan). There may be a lot of children there though. Royal Plantation and Grand Lido are also highly rated AI's.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 09:41 AM

eileen's suggestion of Royal Hideaway is the ONLY AI I know of that I would even consider because food is very important to me too. I have never seen a negative trip report or review of Royal Hideaway.

No one can convince me that the food at any Sandals is anything more than mediocre, and the one Couples that I went to had food that was adequate but not exceptional.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:48 AM

I highly recommend the Jamaica Inn in Ocho Rios. The food is wonderful. Although JI is far from your typical all-inclusives, they have various meal plans available...and not a buffet in sight ;-) !

It is an elegant resort with wonderful rooms and a staff that makes it very special.

Look at their website to confirm, but I believe they have a no children under 16 policy.

I spent two weeks there in April and it was magical.

Marion

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:49 AM

What do you consider "quite a lot to do"? What kind of on site activities are you interested in? I think you may have to compromise on one of your requirements.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Hi- Stayed at the Breezes in Runaway Bay, Jamaica. My husband and I loved it and almost booked again for March but decided on Aventura Spa Palace Resort. Breezes had "wonderful" food, nightlife was great, beach was pretty, and the drinks were plentiful. There are no children. There was plenty to do at the resort because you really dont want to venture off!! Oh, and the staff were sooooo friendly and outgoing! Good luck
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:48 PM

We LOVED the food at Swept Away Negril -- huge variety in their buffet lunches, plus a juice / veggie / sushi bar and an outdoor grill where you can always get jerk chicken, ribs, & burgers. They emphasize healthy, colorful, local foods and there's always a really neat vegetarian bar at dinner with Indian or other specials. Food was abundant, natural, and healthy. In the buffet there's a whole separate dessert room if that's your thing. Of course the coffee is the best I've ever tasted.

There are NO children under 18 and it's mostly couples of all ages. Loads of sport activites of every type, including yoga classes, couples massage, private instruction in racquetball, tennis, et al. This is NOT a noisy party place. It is quiet and romantic. The beach is to die for. We adored this place. If you have any specific questions, there are loads of posts on it, or you can email me privately: keely at wayimmune.org (use the @ sign instead of "at&quot.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Tedette: We stayed at the Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort in St. Lucia. You have an option of getting the AI plan there. We don't do AI when we vacation, but we had many meals at the 4 restaurants here, and the food was quite good. They have an upscale restaurant, The Dragonfly, which was pretty good (although small portions). Drinks were very good, too. We went in February (during Presidents Week) so, yes, there were lots of children then, but I am told that during low season there are not many. There's plenty of watersports here, 2 pools, spa, nightly entertainment, etc.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:26 AM

If I was going to choose between the two islands, I would choose Jamaica. Taxi's are widely available. Lots of AI resorts and the island is truly paradise. Better food and air travel options.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 11:24 AM

tedette, I am looking at these same islands (plus anguilla) and my requirements are exactly the same as yours. I'm leaning towards Jamaica, as it seems the easiest to get to (direct flights). I like the sound of the Jamaica Inn, but am a little worried it caters to an older crowd. But the beach is supposed to be beautiful and that's important to us. I'm checking the Royal Hideaway which was suggested here, but it really is expensive compared to other resorts. Let me know what you choose, I'm spending all my free time surfing and lurking...