Reload this Page >

Carambola -- St. Croix?

Search

Carambola -- St. Croix?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 07:00 AM
Eileen

Carambola -- St. Croix?

Anyone been to Carambola Beach Resort in St. Croix? My husband is an avid golfer and the golf at this resort is supposedly good. The Resort used to be the Westin Carambola, now Sunterra. Any info would be appreciated. Anyone been to Buccaneer Bay -- would that be a better choice for a golfer?

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 12:36 PM
Alex

Eileen, <BR>I will be getting married at the Carambola in about 3 weeks and will be glad to give you a review after that. I did a lot of research on the two properties and found the Carambola to fit my taste a little more closely. The Buccaneer is supposed to be beautiful, but a little more expensive and a bit more "old world". The golf at the Carambola is supposed to be superior although not bad at the Buccaneer. I will email you more after I get back if you would like.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 04:31 PM
Eileen

Congratulations! Good luck with your wedding, I will look forward to hearing all about it -- thanks.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 05:27 PM
chris

Eileen, <BR> <BR>My husband and I were at the Carambola the second week of May. We did go to the golf course (it is a few minutes drive from the resort), but we did not golf. My husband -- who does golf -- said he thought it looked okay. You can rent clubs there, but not shoes. But it was hot in St. Croix, so if you go golfing be sure to put on sunblock, bring water, wear a hat, and take a cart (for shade and rest). The resort is in a pretty location -- on the beach, hills surrounding it. The beach is rocky on the bottom so it is hard to just walk in, but it was like that everywhere we went on the island. The room we had (oceanfront) was larger than a standard hotel room -- besides the bed, it had a couch, coffee table, two chairs and a desk, big bathroom, big shower (no tub), and screened-in porch. It was clean and comfortable. The pool was good size and clean. The food is expensive (but like that everywhere on the island). Also, we were approached about a timeshare presentation twice. The resort is about half-hour drive from the main town, Christiansted. There is a Cane Bay beach and maybe 3 restaurants about 3 and 4 miles away I think. We did rent a car for the entire time we were there, and I'm glad we did. I only saw the Buccaneer from the road, so I don't know anything about it.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 06:53 PM
mike

We didn't stay there but did golf it last May. Its a very nice robert trent jones course with a spectacular collection of par 3's. The Buccaneer course is also nice but I believe a tad easier. It is very scenic as there are holes right on the water. Both resorts seem to get good marks. Carambola is further out in country. No matter which you stay at your husband should play both courses.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 12:24 PM
peg

Hi -- Some info I hadn't seen anywhere about the Carambola golf course: you must wear a shirt/top with collar and dress shorts to golf there. You also are not allowed to take in your own cooler--you buy soda from them, and they supply the cooler. No idea how expensive that would be (pop was $2.00/can at the resort... total rip-off. We bought cases for $4.00 at K-Mart instead). <BR> <BR>We booked a 7:15 a.m. round while staying at the resort (for those staying there, only $48 for 18 holes with cart and clubs -- not bad! about $33 for 9 holes), but once we arrived, were not allowed to golf because we didn't have the "correct" clothing. I assume even if we'd dressed properly, tennies wouldn't have been acceptable either. So... if you go, take "dress" clothes and proper golf shoes. <BR> <BR>We fully understand their wanting to maintain a standard of dress, but we found this a little snooty considering there wasn't anyone else on the course and considering no one at the resort proper had mentioned anything about a dress code to us... <BR> <BR>Otherwise, the course looked gorgeous. Incredible setting. Go and enjoy, just take your Bermuda's. <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 02:40 PM
Julia

<BR>Been a couple of years since we were on STX. Didn't stay at either property but my husband golfed at both. The property as a whole is much nicer at Carambola & the course more challenging, but he much preferred the Buc, said it was cooler (higher & on the ocean) with a more laid-back, friendly atmosphere. <BR> <BR>No reason not to play both. : - ) <BR> <BR>