Car or cab?

Jan 6th, 1999, 02:22 PM
John

Car or cab?

My wife and I are going to Grand Caymans later this month. Do you suggest renting a car while there, or just cab around?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jan 7th, 1999, 02:52 AM
K Noel

You won't regret getting a car--we always get a vehicle so we will feel free to explore! Have a great time.

Jan 7th, 1999, 03:47 AM
Bart

John, I normally rent a car for the freedom and flexability that it affords us but I did not on GC last february. First of all, they drive on the left side of the road even though most vehicles are US made and have left side controls. This makes the driving a bit more complicated. I've driven in UK and Ireland and with controls on right, driving on the wrong(yank) side is easier.
Also, GC is not that large that you would need to make a lot of island trips. The cabs are convenient and while not cheap, I'm sure they would be less than a weekly car rental. There are numerous tour operators that will take you on tours of the island and most activity operators, provide transportation.
The traffic is very congested in and around Georgetown.
Bart

Jan 11th, 1999, 03:30 PM
Julie

We rented a jeep while we were there. It is definately worth it. We saw places that I'm sure a cab won't take you. Even though it is a small island, there are some beautiful spots to stop and walk along the beach or collect shells.
Have a great time!

Jan 12th, 1999, 12:44 AM
kim

We've rented mopeds a couple times and found that to be a great way to get around the island. Makes it easy to take those "little" side roads and see what's there. Outside of Georgetown there are wide open roads. We never felt ourselves to be in any danger. By the way, I am NOT graceful nor athletic or in any way physically fit and I had no problem with them!

Jan 19th, 1999, 04:47 AM
Helen

Just a tip.... In stead of taking a cab all the time, it is very easy to use the buses for going to town, hell and the turtle farm. You just start walking in the direction you are going and a mini van will honk at you. You can recognze the buses on the yellow or green sticker on the front (they do not have numbers !) The cost is only KYD 1,5 per person and you can ride as long as you want. The chauffeur stops exactly whare you want him to. In stead of finding parking spots etc. in town this is a very easy and cheap way to get around on the main road.

Jan 19th, 1999, 07:07 AM
David

Don't think twice- rent a car. If youre from the U.S. just be careful, right when you think you have driving on the left down, your brain tells you otherwise. It may be a little difficult, but I drove around Georgetown with no problem, although sometimes its difficult to find a parking space close to where you want to shop. If you want to go snorkeling, or eat at restaurants that are far from your hotel you'll save money by renting.