Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Can't make trip. Didn't buy travel insurance. Did this happen to anybody else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Belinda

My husband and I are supposed to go to Pink Sands this weekend. Well, he wrenched his back and is not fit to travel. Stupidly, I did not purchase trip cancellation. I am stuck with airfare and three nights accommodation at Pink Sands (at $500 a nite). I have learned a hard lesson now about trip cancellation insurance and wanted to know if there is anyone else out there that I can commiserate with.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 02:18 PM
Karen

Did you talk to someone at Pink Sands? They might not return your money but they may give you credit or partial credit for another visit. Have had that happen in the past not at Pink Sands but elsewhere. As for those tickets, I would call the airlines and cancel. You can use them for another date if you change them. You will pay a change fee but for sure it's not as expensive as eating the price of the ticket!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 02:43 PM
ouch!

I know that this sounds stupid but get a note from his doctor. I believe airlines are sometimes obliged to give credits in case of medical emergency. Making your doctor will be willing to say this is a medical emergency. Otherwise, definitely cancel the tickets and use them some other time. It is worth paying $100 change fee to be able to use them again

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 11:24 PM
tweedy

OHHHHH, no I am so sorry you had to cancel. I would call the office at Pink Sands, and I know this has happened before, so they probably will work with you for a future date. Pink Sands is runny pretty full so if you let them know ahead of time, they may be able to resell the room. <BR> <BR>It's a shame, you can't go but as soon as your husband is better, GET ON A PLANE you will LOVE Harbour Island. <BR> <BR>tweedy

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 05:50 AM
Belinda

Thanks for those great suggestions. I will let you know how I make out.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:54 AM
cousin oliver

Definetly call the Pink Sands and see what they can do for you. As for the airline tickets, the airline won't refund your money even with a doctors note unless your chose to purchase a refundable full fare coach or first class ticket. They aren't obliged at all to refund your money. You'll have to pay the $100 penalty fee plus any additional airfare increase. Hope your husband feels better.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Barb

While we're on the subject... Can anyone recommend a good travel insurance agent? Read a post recommending AAA, but do not have this service. Going to St. John in August and want to be sure we have insurance due to hurricane season. Thanks!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Karen

There are several on the web. The one that we have used consistently is CSA. I know that they have a site but haven't looked for it yet! <BR>BTW, Belinda, please post and let us know how it works out for you.