Caneel Bay -- meal plan?

Old Dec 11th, 1999, 07:01 AM
Becca

Caneel Bay -- meal plan?

My fiancee and I are planning on booking our honeymoon at Caneel Bay in St. John. We are debating about whether to get the meal plan. If we do, we are only going to get the breakfast and dinner plan. We were wondering if the meal plan allows you to order off the menu, or if it is a buffet at each meal. Also, what is the average price of breakfast and dinner at Caneel Bay?

Old Dec 12th, 1999, 03:33 PM
Amelia

Hi Becca,

I would definitely keep the meal plan. Breakfest at Caneel is generally about $70.00 for two with tip. You can order off the menu, but in off-season you are encouraged to use the buffet. Don't worry the buffet is extraordinary.
There is no dinner buffet. It is all off the menu. The price of dinner at
Caneel is generally in the $200.00 range
for two with tip and drinks. The food is very good. Have fun!

Old Dec 12th, 1999, 04:23 PM
Amelia

Hi Becca,

I forgot to mention that you can view photos of all three restaurants at Caneel on their website at http://www.caneelbay.com Click on their virtual tour of the property.
Breakfest is always served at the Beach Terrace Restaurant. It is located near the main lobby. The Equator is the open air restaurant at Caneel (need insect repellent at night). It is located near the entrance to the complex when driving in. The Turtle Bay is the enclosed air-conditioned restaurant. It located deep within the complex. If your room is not located near it, you will have to take the intra-resort jitney to get there. Have fun!

Old Dec 13th, 1999, 06:43 AM
Julie

Amelia:
Are those prices for real?
My fiance and I just booked a week at Caneel Bay (and three nights at Little Dix Bay). We had decided not to use the meal plan because we have heard great things about several restaurants on St. John and wanted to keep our dinner options open. Question: We heard that you can change to having meal plan/no meal plan once during your stay. Do you know if this is the case?

Old Dec 13th, 1999, 03:21 PM
Amelia

Hi Julie,

You can limit the meal plan to a part of your stay as I remember doing that once. However, I would not wait until I got there to try to do the shuffle. I also remember having to reconfirm at the lobby as these mixed deals have a tendency to default on the computer to a no meal plan or meal plan for the length of stay. Guess which default we got? It was all straightened out though.
I think everyone's honeymoon should be at Caneel. Congratulations!

Old Dec 14th, 1999, 03:55 AM
Karen

It has been my experience that resorts will let you "on" the meal plan once you arrive or during your stay but seldom, if ever, let you "drop it" once selected especially if it is prepaid. I would be tempted to wait until arrival and see what I could negoitiate. It is usually advantageous to use the meal plan instead of paying a la carte.

Old Dec 14th, 1999, 05:27 AM
Julie

Thanks for the advice.

Old Dec 14th, 1999, 02:27 PM
Becca

Thanks for all the advice! Judging from your responses, I think we are definitely going to sign up for the meal plan!

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 05:38 AM
Greg

I haven't eaten at Caneel but I can't imagine going to St. John and not eating at Asolare. Do yourself a favor and reserve at least one night for this place. Asolare means something like the "agreeable passage of time." And Asolare fits that description perfectly. It's my favorite place to eat on St. John and it's just up the road from Caneel. It sits up on Caneel Hill and has a great view of the sea. Make sure you order the chocolate cake for dessert, they make it while you're eating and cook a scoop of ice cream in the middle of it. Anyway, have fun! The beaches at Caneel are perfect.