Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Cancun or The Bahamas for a long weekend get away?

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Mandy

Hi everyone,

My husband & I would like to get away for a three day weekend in Jan of 2002. Can not decide if Cancun or The Bahamas is better for a relax mini vacation?? Likes good food, white beach and a little sight seeing.
Thanks

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Greg

The Bahamas can be chilly in January. I would go to Cancun if that were my only other option. Have you considered the Caymans?

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:35 PM
cindy

I would go to Cancun. The service and food is far superior in Mexico. I foud the Bahamas over rated. The beaches are not as nice as Cancun and the Bahamian dollar is at par with US funds. Definately don't get value for your money. Cancun offers so much more.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Gail

I agree that the Bahamas can be chilly in January. I definitely don't agree that the beaches are better in Cancun. Cancun had very narrow beaches and some areas have very rough surf. The Bahamas have long stretches of beautiful beach and calm water. Cancun is a great place for wonderful food and lots of fun. It will definitely be warm enough there in January.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:28 AM
xx

I'd consider arrival times & departure times. three days generally means 2 nights. the first day & the last day will be travel days. that means one full day at your destination.

look for a roundtrip that leaves the US early, but leaves your destination late. look for direct flights cause changing panes often turns into a big delay

if you can squeeze another day out of your employers you'll have a little wiggle room if you experience delays or showrs.

have a great time, wherever you decide.