Search

camping in St.John

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 1998, 02:17 PM
jstamp

camping in St.John

We are planning to go camping in St.John this winter. Any suggestions on making reservations and trip planning?

Old Apr 26th, 1998, 06:03 AM
Patrick

Book early. You didn't mention whether you were going to Maho or cinammon Bay. Maho used to take reservations a year in advance and Cinammon 8 or 9 months but I would check and make them quickly, especially if you are going on a holiday or school vacation week. You should also make sure that you have a flight- I know that the February flights are almost boked and prices from the Northeast are about $800 a ticket now. My family camped at Cinammon about six times and Maho once so if you want to know more just let me know. Patrick.

Old May 15th, 1998, 02:01 PM
barb

What is best about Cinnamon v. Maho? Is early Dec. a good time to go? How do you make reservations? Thanks!

Old May 16th, 1998, 02:31 PM
Patrick

We liked cinamon better but some people like Maho. cinamon is flat and on a georgeous beach-the biggest on the island. We always rented the camping cottages- cement rooms which we like much better than tents. The tents at Maho are much nicer than the tents at Cinamon- Maho is very unique- an eco resort- it has won a lot of environment awards- it is built on a steep hill- everything is connected by
wooden walkways so as not to distrub the environment but you will be doing a lot of walking up and down steep stairs - the beach itself is small and not that nice but the bay is beautiful and you can walk to a nearby beach Francis which is very beautiful- you can even swim or snorkel there pretty easily from Maho.Maho is further out from Cruz Bay and not as easy to get to by the open air taxis- if you rent a jeep that doesn't matter. The beds at Maho are better- although they may have new ones at cinnamon since the hurricane. Sorry about not responding but I forget to check the message earlier- again - look into booking- any travel agent should have info and if you are going duriing a holiday or school vacation week you will have to book soon.

Old May 18th, 1998, 04:17 PM
Amelia

I generally agree with Patrick's analysis. However,
I think the beach at Maho is excellent. And, they
rent chaise lounges and sand chairs at minimal cost.
Cinnamon only rents sand chairs. I would underline
the athletic demands of the walkways at Maho. Getting to and from the beach is a physical challenge. See the Maho web site at
http://www.maho.org for all the info you would possibly need.