Search

Caicos Dream Tours, other Provo activities and sights

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2011, 02:39 PM
jnk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caicos Dream Tours, other Provo activities and sights

Hi all - I've been reading a lot of good things about Caicos Dream Tours and Sail Provo. I think I'm leaning more towards Caicos Dream Tours just because I've seen more feedback on them. Has anyone been on both and can tell me if the quality of service is similar or if there's a reason I should pick one instead of the other?

My main question is regarding the half day tour versus the full day tour. I'm thinking of doing the half day tour, just to cut back on expenses. But is the full day tour really worth it? This is our first trip to Provo and we're not sure if we'll be back anytime soon (if ever) so would i be missing out if I didn't spurge on the full tour?

Also, we'll have a car and I want to visit Chalk Sound. Are there any other points of interests or activities that we should not miss?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old May 13th, 2011, 04:13 PM

Only know CDT. We did a 1/2 day with Ashley and it was GREAT! We were out a bit longer than promised and it was perfect. Can't remember the other fella but both guys were great. Picked us up off Grace Bay at our condo and returned us there.
Old May 14th, 2011, 03:54 AM

I personally love the full day tour, the secluded cays you go to have amazing beaches......the BBQ lunch on an isolated beach is fantastic.

The only thing is they need a minimum # of people to go, so you'd have to check it to see if they can even do it--

I personally love the full day, but repeat the 1/2 day just to get out to gorgeous Half Moon Bay (Amazing!)

With a car I would explore Sapadilla Bay and Taylor Bay (all close to Chalk Sound) and Da Conch Shack. I would also explore Pelican Beach and look for the pretty and big sparkling white conch shells. With a car it's easier to plan the terrific restaurants everywhere.

Where are you staying?
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:37 AM

JNK,
We'll be there for our first trip to Provo this August. After much research and blamona's recommendations (*thanks!*), we're doing the following if it helps at all: 1/2 day Caicos Dream Tours (I would do full day but our party wants 1/2 day), Provo Ponies, Conch farm tour, Las Brisas restaurant for lunch and/or dinner at Chalk Sound and pontoon boat ride around Chalk Sound, Glow Worm boat tour (we'll be there at the right time for this after the full moon), adult dinner one night at Anacoana and the Lounge/infinity bar at Grace Bay club, group dinner at Coco Bistro, lunch at Hemmingways (we're staying in a villa on Sapodilla for the week but spending the last night on Grace Bay at The Sands), and lunch at Da Conch Shack too. Not sure if you want to look into any of these things to do, but they looked like a great time to us! Have FUN!!!
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:34 PM
jnk
Original Poster

hi blamona - from a previous post, we were deciding between regents palms or west bay club. i was leaning towards WBC but ultimately decided to splurge and booked with gansevoort. got a beachfront studio with terrance. the room at regents palm was cheaper but had no view and the one bedroom at WBC would have been slightly cheaper, but the style of the gansevoort room was a little more appealing to us. we usually just go for the best rate, but being that it's our babymoon, i decided to splurge a bit .

thanks for all the suggested places. we're staying 4 nights, so i will definitely plan everything out to make sure we get to those spots. i was looking at your pics on photobucket. there's an album called "1 day in provo". can you tell me where the first 5 pics were shot at and where that pier is? if you know of any other picturesque location, please let me know. i've been reading all your trip reports and posts - you've been so helpful!! thank you!!

kellybeaches - your itinerary sounds great!! we're definitely gonna do the CDT but being that i'll be 6 months pregnant, no pony rides . the husband wants me to take it easy, so we probably won't do any other boat trips. i haven't looked into restaurants yet, but we'll probably make dinner reservations and play it by ear for lunch - depending on what we're doing and where we are on the island. have fun on your trip!
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:51 AM

Guys, all the tours and meals aside, please spend more time on Grace Bay! That stretch of sand is simply sensational.

Hemingway's is our favorite lunch spot. Coco Bistro also totally cool because when we went at dusk there were bats (and lots of them) flying in and around the trees! CoCo the cat is super cool...it would go from table to table to say "hi." Da Conch Shack was original and has some of the best fritters on the island.

Don't forget to visit Taylor Bay as well!
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:52 AM

Hi foodiechan,
Yes, we're planning on spending a morning/day on Grace Bay too-I hear there's a public access point so we'll check it out. And then we'll be there for the last Sat/Sunday staying at The Sands. Otherwise, our villa is beachfront on Sapodilla so it'll be nice having the beach pretty much to ourselves

By chance, did you see children at Coco Bistro? We were hoping to take our 6 and 3 year old with us to dinner there with us.

JNK, I forgot to mention- we booked a professional photo shoot with Tropical Imaging -www.brilliant.tc/

They're coming to our villa and taking photos of our family on Sapodilla bay at sunset. Might be a nice option for preggo photos for you! They take amazing photos!
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:18 AM

kellybeaches:

We did see children at Coco Bistro.

Sapodilla is certainly nice, and Taylor Bay, which I think is even nicer, is the next beach over. Both are perfect for children.

Near South Fleetwood (that's where we stayed) is an access point to the beach. If not you can simply park at any hotel, walk on to the beach - and since the beach is long and wide you could pretty much camp anywhere you want, and its never too busy, except if you head over to the AI resorts like Sandals and Beaches.

Plenty of conch shells to pick up on the beach at Da Conch Shack!
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:52 AM

There is a large park next to the Gansevoort resort- lots of parking, walkable to a couple of resorts for drinks/lunch.
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Gansevoort is very chic-you'll have a great time.

The first 5 pictures are Leeward Beach--it's connected to Grace Bay, but miles away-I highly recommend a car at least 1 day, you can find huge bright white conch shells on that beach to bring back home, very cool. With a car you can also check out Da Conch Shack, Sapadilla and Taylor Bays, and Chalk Sound, a sight to see! You'll never see turquoise like Chalk Sound anywhere in the world. (and I've been many places around the world ;-) )

The pier is at Beaches Resort, an easy walk from Gansevort.

If you can get all day at Caicos Dream Tours (if the water is calm) I highly recommend it--you can't get enough of those cays they take you.

We've taken kids to Coco Bistro plenty of times, and they've loved it!

8-)
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:15 PM
jnk
Original Poster

great - thank you all for your suggestions. i'll be sure to post a trip report and photos after our trip!