Search

BVI vs. USVI

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 03:56 PM
Rosey

BVI vs. USVI

Just looking for some honest opinions on the above mentioned places. My husband and I are looking to take a relaxing, but fun vacation this winter. I know that there are lots of things to consider, but I don't want to get that specific yet. Just want some advice before I start my research. Thanks!

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 06:49 AM
Louis

BVI is our choice without question. In the USVI, St. John is the only place to consider. We like the low key nature of the BVI. It is safe and the people are nice. It has a lot of natural beauty. Tortola, Jost Vandyke, Virgin Gorda, Cooper Island, Guana Island, Peter Island, and Anegada are all ineresting places to stay or visit. If you want to shop, it is a short ferry ride to St. Thomas however you can buy the same things in the USA and in some cases for less money.

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 10:01 AM
Decent Tropical

Why go on a vacation to shop?

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 05:27 PM
Karen

Comparing the BVI's and the USVI's is difficult as each island has its own special characteristics. You will pay more for the BVI's due to taxes and service charges but you will also pay more on St. John than St. Thomas or St. Croix. Of the USVI, St. John is mostly Nat'l Park and the "resorts" run from relatively inexpensive place like Maho and Cinammon CampGrounds to Caneel Bay which is absolutlely lovely with a price to match. There are many wonderful beaches. St. Thomas has some great spots on East End that rival St. John and the BVI's and it is an easy ferry ride (20 minutes, $3) to St. John if the budget does not allow St. John. You can also ferry to the BVI's from St. Thomas. Personally I would chose St. John over Tortola anyday just for those great beaches that are harder to find on Tortola ... but Tortola is a great spot to start exploring the rest of the wonderful BVI's: Virgin Gorda, Jost, Peter, etc. etc. Check out Scubamom.com for some great reviews of Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda and the rest of the BVI's ... it is a wonderful place! Guess you have to decide first what your budget is and what is improtant to you. Nite life? Beaches? <BR>Important to stay ON a beach or okay to commute to one? Resort? Villa? Be a little more specific about your wants and needs and maybe we could be more helpful.

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 02:31 PM
Ed

BVI - Virgin Gorda - ABSOLUTELY <BR> <BR>Check this out: <BR> <BR>http://www.islandhideaways.com/virggord/virggord.html <BR> <BR>For a villa designed for honeymoon privacy see: <BR> <BR>http://www.britishvirginislands.com/...ay/vistadm.htm <BR>

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 09:32 AM
Joel

Reading the responses you've already received, it's clear that we all have our favorites. As Karen noted, if you would provide some idea as to your tastes. <BR>For me, having stayed on all of the islands in question: <BR>Tortola ranks number 1. It has the low-key atmosphere I prefer, I love the beaches which are many and empty as compared to St. John which are many and full or St. Thomas which are some and crowded. <BR>Tortola has a great formula for avoiding the Miami Beach high-rise look that has overtaken St. Thomas long ago, and is about to do in St. John. Tortola (and all of BVI) restricts construction fairly severely. It's hard and time-consuming to get a building permit and once you build you can't go over 3 stories. Things harmonize with the natural surroundings and stay small. <BR>Finally, the BVI is very friendly and the locals are proper. I have heard variously that St. Thomas has/hasn't cleaned up its crime problem. My story is this: on our honeymoon a burglar broke into our room with us in it. Also, I didn't like the looks we got from the large number of men always standing around with apparently nothing to do. (I'm gonna get blasted for this.) <BR>Won't go back except to take the ferry over from the BVI for a day's shopping in the considerable market in Charlotte Amalia