Search

bugs- the real story?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 06:16 AM
cathy green

bugs- the real story?

We are travelling to the carribean march 2000. in reading about anguilla, i was concerned about the "make sure you have your bug spray - the mosquitos are murder" warning. what is the real bug story, and are there islands that are better than others? my experience is that swatting continuously can effect the joy of a pristine perfect day at the beach!! thanks

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 06:53 AM
carolyn

I too was concerned about bugs before embarking on my trip to the BVI recently. We stayed in a beachside villa and no problems during the day or evening, but the noseeums (SP?) at dusk were somewhat uncomfortable. I am from Cape Cod where this also happens at that time of day. My advice - try to stay in areas without dense foliage, stay on the windy side of the island if possible, avoid being out during the early evening. Seaside natives also know it's best to avoid hairspray or body scents unless it is Avon Skin so Soft. Good luck.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 06:54 AM
Cheri

Don't worry about bugs spoiling your day. It's the nights you have to worry about. For years we travelled to the Caribbean and never gave a thought to bugs or bug spray, but it seems in the last two or so years the mosquitoes are everywhere. A lot of people complain about no-seeums, but I can't say I've had a problem with them. Last spring we had mosquitoes in our bed with us. Every AM we'd wake up covered in bites. Started spraying repellant on the sheets. Now I pack a can of RAID too. <BR> <BR>I have to say that we haven't really been bothered too much by other creepie crawlies in the islands. Thank heaven for small favors.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 07:27 AM
stephanie

We were in Anguilla in Dec. ('96), and I don't even recall bugs. Maybe I've selectively forgotten, but I really don't remember a problem. For that matter I don't remember a problem on other islands either. We stayed on the north shore of Anguilla (Shoal Bay E.) <BR> <BR>I DO remember swarms of bugs on Cape Cod at dusk (I thought they were mosquitos) like Carolyn mentions - the worst I've seen anywhere! <BR> <BR>By the way, what are no-seeums?

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 10:25 AM
Liana

I believe you've had a "noseeum" experience when you wake up one morning covered in bug bites, but don't remember seeing the culprits, or feeling the initial chomp. Of course, it doesn't necessarily have to be morning. <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 12:06 PM
Cheri

Unfortunately we actually saw the skeeters in our room. We'd kill three and four more would pop up.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 03:39 PM
tweedy

The bugs used to be a problem in the Bahamas until Hurricane Andrew and now I haven't seen many in the last couple of trips down. They must have gotten blown away. <BR> <BR>Noseeums are tiny flying things that you don't see, but really feel. They must be all stinger and you know when one bites. <BR> <BR>Avon Skin-so-soft is the best thing on the market, it was designed as a skin softener and is the best bug repellant, it keeps everything away, good thing it's just the bugs and not people. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip, and take some skin-so-soft, just in case. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 04:38 PM
lynne

<BR>I've been to the Dominican Republic twice -- both times my legs got bitten. Both times I went the people I was with were not bothered by the bugs? I always bring bug repellent that way if you need it you have it. I guess I'm just more yummy than some people?

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 05:36 AM
trace

I've heard that blood type has something to do with it. <BR>

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 06:14 AM
Cheri

Couple responses here. I believe that about some being bitten and others not. If I wear skin so soft I get attacked. My body and it must mix to make a yummy combo for bugs. <BR> <BR>Number two, about noseeums stinging. When we were in Sanibel, the residenters told us that they don't bite or sting, but have a type of acid on their feet and when they land on you it burns.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 04:57 AM
Karen

The "real story" ... no see 'ems are just that ... you don't see them but after they have dined, you know they have been there! As one who attracts mosquitos or anything that bites ... it does have to do with body chemistry supposidely ... I never leave home without Skin so Soft lotion and use it liberally in the evening and if I am on the beach very early in the am. I find it very effective. I also never leave home without anti-itch stuff because ITCH and HURT, the bites do! They are especially active after a rain, in the grasses or folage and seem to be blown away by windy days and always at dusk and early am! Some say taking Vitamin B for a week before your trip reduces your "tastiness." Most places do have repellent in the rooms as part of the "welcome package!"

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 07:11 AM
Lara

Skin-so-soft/citronella has not worked at all at some of the islands I have gone to in spring/summer. You need Deep Woods Off or a product with a high concentration of DEET. <BR> <BR>You should bring your own because we have been to some places where the bugs have been so bad, the local stores sold out of insect repellant! <BR> <BR>Also bring Benadryl and other antihistimine creams in case you get eaten. Your doctor can prescribe some prescription creams as well. <BR> <BR>I am very prone to getting bitten, and I have never had problems during the day.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 01:44 PM
Anna

We went to St. Lucia in March and I was bitten by mosquitos. I am pretty sensitive to bites and they swell up to the size of a silver dollar. Luckily, I had brought a steroid cream along which kept the bites in check, icing the bite also helped bring down the itching and swelling. On my next trip to the Caribbean I'll bring some sort of bug repellant.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 06:38 PM
Vicki

Yuck - those bug stories make me want to stay at home for our honeymoon...especially since the bugs love me!

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 05:07 AM
Joel

My wife and I have been vacationing in the BVI and St. Thomas for years. We always stay on the windward side of the island (either a Southern or Eastern exposure) where you get a constant breeze/wind. We have done this primarily to avoid the need for air conditioning, but it also completely eliminates bugs. I can say that I've never been bit, nor my wife who is juicier than I. Also, we have never carried any bug spray of any type. <BR>

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 06:42 PM
PATTIE

JUST RETURNED FROM ST.CROIX THE MOSQ'S WERE VERY BAD DUE TO A HEAVY RAIN THEY HAD THE WEEK PRIOR TO OUR ARRIVAL. "OFF" WAS IN THE ROOM FOR OUR USE AND WE HAD A SCREENED IN PATIO/DECK WHICH HELPED. BUT THE LITTLE ANT/SPIDER THINGS THAT RUN QUICK BOTHERED ME. THEY WERE ALWAYS ALL OVER ON THE BAR IN BY THE POOL. I THINK THEY BIT TOO. I LOOK LIKE I DID A COMMERICAL FOR BUG SPARY AND THEY PUT MY LEGS SPRAYED IN A CONTAINER OF MOSQ'S TOTALLY BITTEN UP BUT WELL WORTH THE VACATION.