Reload this Page >

British Virgin Islands or Turks and Caicos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 02:54 PM
Carlton

I would appreciate any info to help me decide between these 2 wonderful places. On T&C I'm considering Sands at Grace Bay or Coral Gardens/White House Villa. In BVI, I was thinking about island hopping, a few days in Tortola's Cane Garden Bay area (ELM Beach Suites, a night or two on Jost Van Dyke (Sandcastle)and a few days on Virgin Gorda (Guavaberry). Looking for a laid back vacation. The requirements are beautiful, uncrowded beaches, great snorkeling, good food, and reasonable accomodations. Going in low season so that should help. Thanks in advance for any info.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 06:51 PM
Rob

Carlton, 4 of your 5 requirements would be met by choosing the White House in T&C. The beach is great, the accomodations aren't too shabby at all and some of the best snorkeling is just outside the door....the food you may have to travel a couple miles for. Most of this also applies to the Sands but you will have a 15-20 minute walk to get to the reef at the White house. Can't comment on BVI though.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 03:50 AM
Eva

Carlton: <BR>I've visited the T&C twice and BVI three times. Given your interests, you can't go wrong with either one. Both islands have spectacular beaches. Grace Bay on Provo is long and breathtakingly beautiful, but I've heard that the newer all-inclusive hotels have added jet-skis, parasailing and other commercial activities since I've last been there myself (though this is probably not as evident at Coral Gardens). BVI beaches are small, numerous and more intimate --tho' occasionally a cruise ship dumps its hordes ashore for a few hours at CGB, the Baths or White's Bay on JVD (don't let this deter you -- they don't stay too long, and during low season, you may not even notice them). The snorkeling is probably better in the T&C, but BVI snorkeling is good also. In the BVI, the food is better and more varied, as well as easier to get to; however, to this day I dream about the conch fritters at the Banana Boat in Provo. Finally, there is a wide range of accomodations in both places, and you should be able to find something which meets your needs. One last thing to consider: getting to Provo is a bit easier than getting to the BVI.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 01:28 PM
Michelle

Went to Virgin Gorda 9 months (June) for my honeymoon. Stayed at Little Dix Bay and it was so great that I won't go elsewhere (well, just maybe I'd go to Caneel Bay in St. John) I did ALOT of research on all the Caribbean islands for that time of year, and the best bet (weather, safe, initmate...) was St. John or Virgin Gorda. Can't say I know about Guavaberry, but I heard it was fine. This island has only a couple thousand islanders, so it is very peaceful and SAFE. Friendly, too. 10 miles by 10 miles is the size. MUST DO's: Mad Dogs (great & cheap pina coladas. the owner was there the day we came, and we ran out of money. He said to just come back later! 2 days later we paid), the Baths (I saw hardly any visitors the 2 times we went), and maybe rent a jeep a half day to tour the island. Not much nightlife, just Relaxing. Please feel free to e-mail me direct - we're going back in 3 months!