Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Booking package on Apple Vacations vs. Booking with travel agent who then books through Apple?

Search

Booking package on Apple Vacations vs. Booking with travel agent who then books through Apple?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any benefit to using a travel agent for booking an Apple vacation when you can book the same trip on the internet yourself? I've always used an agent, but I just realized (duh) that I can do it myself on the internet. Does the agent get me anything I cannot get myself? Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Jed

A travel agent is like insurance - it helps when you have a problem. If the cost is the same, it is apparently worth it. If there is a cost, you have to decide if it is worth it. Generally, I make my own reservations.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Typically I'll get a price from my agent then compare it to pricing on various websites. Usually my agents pricing is lower than Apples (and most others) and I believe it is b/c she does not charge as high of a commission.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:56 AM

The agent could get a better price. For my last trip to Jamaica, I checked with Air Jamaica Vacations directly. They couldn't get me on the flight I wanted. Not only was an agent able to get me on that flight but the price was much better than the one quoted by AJ directly.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 10:54 AM

Traditionally, Apple never had online booking - you had to deal with an agent. I see that has changed and frankly it's about time.

The only "theoretical" advantage to having an agent is if things go bad mid-trip you have someone at home to call to talk with. However, since this isn't particularly common - I'd just book online.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 11:20 AM

The only thing I'd add here is that, since Apple Vacations is relatively new to direct-selling, you might be more likely to get what you want if you book through a travel agent. Since Appple still pays commissions, agents normally won't assess a service charge to book their packages, so there's usually not a price advantage in booking everything yourself. Plus, you have an advocate in case something goes wrong, which sometimes happens.